US hands over critically needed emergency supplies to Sri Lanka

The United States today handed over critically needed emergency supplies to Sri Lanka.

US Embassy Charge d’Affaires Martin Kelly and Secretary to the Ministry of Health Dr. S.H. Munasinghe commemorated the donation of critically needed emergency supplies, including pulse oximeters, protective goggles, examination gloves, and KN95 masks – all of it donated by the American people at the request of the Government of Sri Lanka.

The donation arrived at the Bandaranaike International Airport on Saturday.

“The United States and Sri Lanka have worked closely together to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic since its outset,” US Embassy Charge d’Affaires Martin Kelly said. “We recognize the serious personal toll of the pandemic. At the Government’s request, we’re providing these urgently needed supplies to the Ministry of Health to ensure they reach those in need as fast as possible.”

The shipment of the emergency relief supplies follows the White House announcement last Thursday that the United States will make available nearly 7 million vaccine doses for countries in South and Southeast Asia, including Sri Lanka.

Since March 2020, the United States has provided $6 million, plus an in-kind donation of 200 ventilators, to control the spread of COVID-19, address the urgent health needs of the Sri Lankan people, and ultimately save lives. This assistance has reached millions of people in all 25 districts and nine provinces of Sri Lanka to mobilize critical supplies and expertise to support the Sri Lankan Government’s response to the pandemic. The funding is also helping to mitigate the pandemic’s negative economic impacts and help the country recover.

The US Agency for International Development (USAID) has invested over $26 million in the past 20 years to improve the health and well-being of Sri Lankan families and to combat diseases like malaria, avian influenza, and now, COVID-19.

This is one component of the longstanding partnership between the American and Sri Lankan people to support self-reliance and promote economic growth.

USAID’s program in Sri Lanka, totaling more than 350 billion LKR ($2 billion) since 1961, promotes a healthy, educated, and employed population.

Conspiracy against Sajith exposed : Champika Falls to His Knees

During the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) Parliamentary Group Meeting, held yesterday, a proposal had been unanimously ratified extending the party’s unstinted support and loyalty to its leader MP Sajith Premadasa, thus dealing a massive blow to a plot hatched by MP Patali Champika Ranawaka to derail the Party.

It is alleged that Ranawaka had taken the lead and conspired to spread fabrications and spurious charges against the Opposition Leader through the creation of fake news items and videos concerning Premadasa and those close to him.

Interestingly, Ranawaka himself had become party to the proposal brought to support Premadasa’s leadership, once it had dawned on him that not a single MP of the party had thrown in their lot with him to destabilise the party leader. It has been alleged that Ranawaka had used various interviews to criticise the Opposition Leader who is still recuperating in hospital after testing positive to COVID-19.

Besides Ranawaka, the other SJB MPs who had been instrumental in tabling the proposal to support Premadasa’s leadership, are Chief Opposition Whip MP Lakshman Kiriella, MPs Mano Ganesan and Rauff Hakeem. The proposal had been seconded by Party General Secretary Ranjith Maddumabandara, Rajitha Senaratne, Sarath Fonseka and Ashok Abeysinghe.

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka agent deleted vital e-mails: ship probe – AFP

A Sri Lankan court hearing into the fire and sinking of a container ship off Colombo was told Monday that its local agent had deleted e-mails vital to the investigation.

The Singapore-registered MV X-Press Pearl reported an onboard acid leak to its representative Sea Consortium Lanka who in turn failed to alert local authorities, the state prosecutor said.

He said investigators found that Sea Consortium had wiped its e-mails with the Russian skipper Tyutkalo Vitaly.

“The magistrate ordered the local agent (of the ship) to provide the originals of the e-mails from mail servers located abroad,” a court official said.

Magistrate Chalani Perera also ordered the Sri Lankan navy to protect the wreckage lying submerged just outside the Colombo port.

Sri Lankan port authorities had said they were unaware that the vessel had been leaking nitric acid since May 11, nine days before the fire started in Sri Lankan waters.

Ports in Qatar and India had refused to offload a leaking acid container which had been loaded onboard in Jebel Ali, Dubai.

Sri Lanka’s navy recovered the ship’s black box over the weekend.

The Voyage Data Recorder, also known as a maritime “black box”, was found intact and is expected to help investigators review procedures and instructions ahead of the disaster.

Sri Lankan authorities hope the black box will provide details of the ship’s movements and its communications with the Colombo harbour, where it had been due to dock.

Sri Lankan police launched a criminal investigation, interviewing Vitaly and his Chief Engineer Sadilenko Oleg and Chief Officer Peter Anish, an Indian, and seizing their passports.

Authorities are bracing for a possible oil spill from the submerged wreck. However, there has been no sign of any leaks so far, they added.

Tonnes of microplastic granules from the ship swamped an 80-kilometre (50-mile) stretch of beach declared off-limits for residents. Fishing in the area has been banned.

Sri Lankan environmentalists on Friday sued the government and the ship’s operators for allegedly failing to prevent what they called the “worst marine disaster” in the country’s history.

Switzerland sends aid supplies to Sri Lanka

Switzerland has dispatched medical supplies worth CHF 3.5 million to Colombo, including half a million antigen tests, 50 ventilators, 150 oxygen concentrators and testing materials.

In response to the serious public health situation in Sri Lanka and calls for assistance from the Sri Lankan authorities, Swiss Humanitarian Aid immediately set up a crisis unit to provide aid supplies as quickly as possible to help Sri Lanka’s efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

Based on the requirements issued by the Sri Lankan authorities, a list of supplies Switzerland was able to provide was drawn up in close cooperation with the Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport and the Federal Department of Home Affairs.

An aircraft left Zurich today with 16 tonnes of supplies on board. In addition to the 50 ventilators provided by the Armed Forces Pharmacy, the supplies included 150 oxygen concentrators and other medical equipment (such as devices for measuring oxygen levels).

The Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) also added half a million antigen tests to the consignment. Before assembling the supplies, it was clarified that they would not be needed for the Swiss population.

The consignment will be received in Colombo by representatives of the Sri Lankan Ministry of Health and then distributed to the different locations. The Swiss Embassy in Sri Lanka is in close contact with the local authorities to ensure that the supplies are distributed fairly and in line with humanitarian principles.

Last year, Switzerland also contributed CHF 1 million to Sri Lanka’s efforts to combat COVID-19. In October 2020, it funded a device for PCR testing in Colombo airport and provided 39,000 test kits – with the aim of helping Sri Lankan migrant workers who had lost their jobs abroad because of COVID-19 to return home. The Swiss Embassy has also given CHF 100,000 to local partners providing emergency COVID-19 aid to the neediest people, especially low-income families.

Today’s consignment to Sri Lanka is the third Swiss Humanitarian Aid supply mission to South Asia within a month. Swiss Humanitarian Aid, which is part of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, sent 13 tonnes of supplies to India and 30 tonnes to Nepal in recent weeks. Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Swiss Humanitarian Aid has been continuously monitoring public health developments around the world and is ready to provide as much support as it can upon request.

Posted in Uncategorized

Counter Terrorism Investigation Unit gazetted as detention facility

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has issued a gazette notice naming the Counter Terrorism Investigation Unit as a place of detention.

The gazette had been issued on Friday 4th June as a notification under Section 9 of the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA).

“I , Gotabaya Rajapaksa, President do hereby notify that the premises specified in the Schedule hereto, shall be a place of detention for the purposes under Section 9 of the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act , No. 48 of 1979,” the gazette notice said.

The schedule lists the Counter Terrorism Investigation Unit in Colombo as a place of detention.

Section 9 refers to the detention of suspects arrested under the PTA.

Accordingly, the facility will be used to detain suspects arrested under the PTA.

Posted in Uncategorized

47 more COVID-19 deaths pushes toll to 1,789

The Director-General of Health Services confirmed that Sri Lanka has reported 47 more deaths related to the COVID-19 pandemic on Monday (June 07).

As per the Department of Government Information, the reported deaths had occurred between May 17 and June 07.

They are identified as residents of Elpitiya, Wathugahamulla, Dankotuwa, Marawila, Walapane, Dedigamuwa, Waththala, Matara, Hatton, Galagedara, Wellampitiya, Uragaha, Horana, Gonapola – North, Paragasthota, Gonapola, Dehiwala, Colombo 09, Thlawakele, Nuwara Eliya, Trincomalee, Alawwa, Negombo, Galle, Kalutara, Darga Town, Angoda, Naththandiya, Walahapitiya, Haburugala, Moronthuduwa –Panadura, Maho, Polgahawela, Ibbagamuwa, Kandy, Bulathsinghala, Akurana, Dehiaththakandiya, Poogoda, Dompe and Veyangoda.

Accordingly, the total number of deaths due to Covid-19 infection in Sri Lanka has risen to 1,789.

Posted in Uncategorized

Indian HC meets Prime Minister; discusses cooperation

The Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka called on Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa at Temple Trees on Monday (07)

“High Commissioner called on Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa today and discussed a wide range of bilateral topics including in the areas of economic, investment, and financial cooperation,” the Indian High Commissioner posted on its Facebook Page.

Posted in Uncategorized

Fully vaccinated Basil to return ; guidelines for arriving Lankans changed

The Director General of Health services has issued fresh guidelines for fully vaccinated Sri Lankans arriving from some countries.

Accordingly, the Ministry of Health said that fully vaccinated Sri Lankans arriving from India, Vietnam, South Africa and South American countries cannot be home quarantined.

The new guidelines also apply to Sri Lankans and Dual Citizens who have transited or have a travel history within the past 14 days to these countries.

Basil, fully vaccinated

Chairman of the Presidential Task Force for Economic Revival and Poverty Alleviation, Basil Rajapaksa, who is currently in the US, and is said to be fully vaccinated, is expected to return to Sri Lanka soon.

He left for the US on May 12 and reports initially stated he had gone for medical treatment. However, it was later revealed that he had visited his daughter, who had recently given birth.

Meanwhile, a close aide said that although Mr. Rajapaksa had initially planned to visit the US last December, it was delayed due to the prevailing situation in Sri Lanka.

Source: Srilanka Mirror

Submit proposals on election laws by 19 June

The Parliament Select Committee appointed to identify appropriate reforms of the election laws and the electoral system and to recommend necessary amendments has requested the public to submit proposals, on or before the 19th of June.

The Secretary of the Select Committee Deputy Secretary-General & Chief of Staff Kushani Rohanadeera informed individuals and organisations to direct proposals to the email address sec.pscelectionreforms2021@parliament.lk.

Written views and suggestions should be addressed to the Secretary, Parliament Select Committee, Sri Lanka Parliament, Sri Jayawardenepura, Kotte.

No decision yet to extend travel restrictions – Army Chief

No decision has been taken as of yet to extend the existing travel restrictions, Head of National Operation Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOCPCO) General Shavendra Silva said.

The Commander of the Army mentioned this joining the TV Derana breakfast show ‘Derana Aruna’ this morning (June 07).

GeneralSilva further said, “We have not received any recommendation to extend the travel restrictions as of this morning. We have not received any such recommendation from the President or the Task Force. Usually, if such is the case, it would have been informed by now.

There is another week until June 14. Such a decision will be taken if needed after analyzing the situation in the country. However, that is not the case at the present.”

Posted in Uncategorized