Heated Arguments At Government Party Leaders Meeting Over PC Election Timeline And Electoral System

Heated arguments took place at the SLPP-led alliance party leaders meeting yesterday over the upcoming Provincial Council elections, informed political sources said.

The main topic discussed at the meeting was the timeline of the PC election and the issues surrounding the electoral system.

As there was no agreement over the two issues, Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa said he would convene another party leaders meeting on April 19 to make a final decision on the matter.

A paper prepared by Minister Janaka Bandara Tennakon on the electoral system was discussed at the meeting and a number of party leaders raised strong objections to the proposed system.

Ministers Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila, two strong critiques of the PC system, were not present at the party leaders meeting yesterday.

When the cabinet paper was presented to the cabinet last week, ministers Wimal Weerawansa, Udaya Gammanpila, Vasudeva Nanayakkara, Bandula Gunawardena and Dullas Alahapperuma strongly objected and the President called for a meeting of party leaders to take a final decision on the matter.

UNP seeks UN intervention to protect Sinharaja

The United National Party (UNP) has sought the intervention of the United Nations (UN) to protect the Sinharaja forest.

A letter addressed to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres in this regard, was handed over to the UN Resident Coordinator by UNP Deputy Leader Ruwan Wijewardena today.

It was handed over after the party had staged a demonstration outside the United Nation’s compound in Colombo this morning.

In the letter, the UNP pointed out that it was essential to consider the urgent need to protect the natural environment of Sri Lanka, while acknowledging the importance of forest cover and the contribution made to the natural resources.

The Sinharaja forest was declared in 1978 as a Rainforest Reserve Area, by the late President J.R. Jayawardene. In 1988 the National Heritage Wilderness Areas Act was introduced, and the Sinharaja rainforest, which was the original tropical rainforest, was brought under the said Act. Following the introduction of the Act an area of 7,848.2 hectares with a further proposed area of 2,772 hectares was declared protected. By 1992 the protected areas including the adjoining forest area was increased to 11,178 hectares, it said.

The UNP said according to Section 4 (1) (a) of the National Heritage Wilderness Areas Act “no person shall; in a National Heritage Wilderness Area, cut, mark, lop, girdle, saw, convert, collect, or remove any plant, tree or any part thereof or other forest produce”. It further provided that if anyone was found to be acting in contradiction to the above would face criminal proceedings.

The binding articles of the UNESCO Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, to which Sri Lanka is a signatory, states “each State party to this convention undertakes not to take any deliberate measure which might damage directly or indirectly cultural and natural heritage.”

Accordingly, it can be seen that the protection of the environment is not only covered by the laws of Sri Lanka but also guided by the principles of international agreements and undertakings, the UNP said.

The UNP pointed out that Sri Lanka has in furtherance of the UN Goals to protect the environment, reduce carbon emissions and preserve the natural resources entered into international agreements under the Stockholm Agreement, the Rio +20 Conference, the Kyoto Protocols, the Paris Climate Agreement, the Rio Forest Principles and the UN Forum on Forests.

All these bodies are setup under the United Nations, in order to protect the planet and its inhabitants.

Plans are afoot to build two reservoirs within the Sinharaja Rainforest area, which is a protected area under both the local laws and the international obligations. A breach will amount to a criminal offense and a contravention of the international undertaking, the UNP said.

The United National Party has requested the United Nations Secretary General to ensure that he and his agencies will not permit such a breach.

Sirisena disappointed over Cardinal’s comments

Former President Maithripala Sirisena on Monday (05) said he is disappointed over the statement made by Archbishop of Colombo His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith on Sunday (04).

His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith accused former president Maithripala Sirisena of shirking his responsibilities and acting irresponsibly over the April 21st attacks, that occurred under his presidency.

When reporters questioned Sirisena on the Cardinal’s comments, the former said very little and left.

General Secretary of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party, Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera said Maithripala Sirisena is being targeted to destroy the SLFP.

“There was a Prime Minister and Ministers in that government. Yet, only then-President Sirisena is being held responsible. The statement against the then-President speaks of politics,” said Jayasekera.

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka reports five COVID-19 deaths Monday, toll rises to 586

Sri Lanka confirmed five deaths on Monday due to COVID -19 raising the death toll from the viral disease to 586, according to health authorities.

The Director General of Health Services confirmed the following deaths caused by COVID -19 virus infection and accordingly the total number of deaths due to COVID -19 infection in Sri Lanka is 586 by now.

01. The deceased is an 80 year old female resident from Battaramulla. She was diagnosed as infected with Covid 19 virus while undergoing treatments at Moratuwa Base Hospital and transferred to Mulleriyawa Base Hospital where she died on April 05. The cause of death is mentioned as shock due to blood poisoning and pneumonia associated with a bacterial infection, COVID-19 infection and acute kidney damage.

02. The deceased is a 67 year old male resident in Colombo-10. He was diagnosed as infected with Covid 19 virus while undergoing treatments at Colombo National Hospital and transferred to Mulleriyawa Base Hospital where he died on April 04. The cause of death is mentioned as Covid pneumonia, chronic lung disease and high blood pressure.

03. The deceased is a 71 year old male resident in Jaffna. He has died on April 04 while undergoing treatments at Jaffna Teaching Hospital. The cause of death is mentioned as Covid pneumonia and internal bleeding in liver.

04. The deceased is a 77 year old male resident of Battaramulla. He has died on April 04 while undergoing treatments at National Institute of Infectious Diseases. The cause of death is mentioned as COVID-19 infection, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and neurological disease.

05. The deceased is a 71 year old male resident of Colombo-10. He was diagnosed as infected with Covid 19 virus while undergoing treatments at Colombo National Hospital and transferred to National Institute of Infectious Diseases where he died on April 04. The cause of death is mentioned as COVID-19 pneumonia, and metastasized lung cancer.

Posted in Uncategorized

SL to resume passenger flights between Jaffna, Chennai

Sri Lanka intends to resume passenger flight operations between the Jaffna International airport and Chennai, India within the next few months, Tourism Minister Prasanna Ranatunga said in a statement.

He said the flight operations connecting the Maldives with South Indian destinations via Sri Lanka would be launched. According to the Minister, several airlines have already initiated talks with the Sri Lankan authorities in this regard.

The Jaffna airport is expected to be developed in three stages. The terminal will be developed to handle 1000 passengers. The runway will also be expanded further to handle even wide-body aircraft.

The Jaffna airport which was formally called the Palali airport had been used by the Royal Air Force during World War II. After independence, it was used for flight connectivity with Indian destinations. After the advent of the civil war in the 1980s, such operations stopped. Since then, the airport has been used by the Sri Lanka Air Force for supplies.

During the time of the previous government, the international flight operations commenced. However, it could not continue due to the pandemic.

Posted in Uncategorized

Motion presented to appoint PSC to identify changes to election laws and electoral system

Leader of the House Dinesh Gunawardene presented a motion to appoint a select committee to identify appropriate changes to the election laws and electoral system and to recommend necessary amendments.

As per the motion the chair and the members of the committee will be appointed by the Speaker while the committee shall report to the House within six months of its first stings or such extended period as Parliament may grant.

The committee could decide on its quorum, summon any person before it , to require any person to produce any document or record, to procure and receive all such evidence , written or oral as it may think necessary for the fullest consideration, obtain services of specialists and experts in the relevant fields and make interim reports from time to time and sit notwithstanding any adjournment of Parliament.

Mr. Gunawardene said proposals from the opposition will also be welcomed.

Posted in Uncategorized

Are you wearing clothes, Cardinal asks Maithripala

In a stunning verbal assault, Archbishop of Colombo His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith yesterday (4) called for action to be initiated against former President Maithripala Sirisena without further delay and asked whether the former President has no shame.

“The question arises whether some politicians who have been named as being responsible for the attacks are shameless enough to go before the people once again. I heard that the former President is seeking re-election? How can somebody who knew about the deaths and went abroad contest an election? How can he be the leader of a party? I would like to ask him if he is wearing clothes when he says these things?”

Cardinal Ranjith made these comments speaking to the media after Easter Sunday services held at St. Lucia’s Cathedral in Kotahena yesterday.

“The final report of the PCoI (Presidential Commission of Inquiry) on Easter Sunday attacks clearly indicates the people who were involved in the Easter attack. So why aren’t they punished. The ministers who were involved in this attack are still in Parliament, and this is a shame to the country,” he added.

Participating in the “Black Sunday” silent protest on 7 March and speaking to the media, he said: “We wanted the commission to find out who was behind this attack. We do not know to what extent it has been achieved. I’m reading that (PCoI) report these days. Many of the things recommended in this report can be implemented. It is especially important to enforce the law against those who have committed crimes.”

The Head of the Catholic Church in Sri Lanka said earlier that the Government should be more committed to bringing the perpetrators of the tragedy to justice.

“My feeling is that the Government needs to be more committed to conducting an honest investigation. I wondered if it was necessary to appoint another committee of six members,” he questioned.

“What is needed here is for the President to directly direct himself to what he has to do on a practical level. It would be wrong to choose only a certain part of them and punish them only. This protest movement will continue with the involvement of other religious organisations until we get a definite sign,” Cardinal Ranjith said, adding that this was an issue that affected the people of the whole country.

The six-member committee is also ready to present the report recommendations soon to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, according to Co-Cabinet Spokesman and Minister of Energy Udaya Gammanpila.

Speaking to The Morning, he said the committee is waiting for an appointment from President Rajapaksa to handover the report.

“Minister of Irrigation Chamal Rajapaksa, who is the chairman of the committee, is still waiting for the appointment,” he said.

Former President Sirisena appointed the PCoI in September 2019 to probe the co-ordinated suicide bomb attacks by terrorists on 21 April 2019, targeting hotels and churches, which cost 270 lives, injured over 500, and destroyed property. Accordingly, the Commission recorded evidence from 457 persons over 214 days to compile the six-volume report.

The report was handed over to President Rajapaksa by PCoI Chairman Supreme Court Judge Justice Janak de Silva at the Presidential Secretariat on 1 February. It comprises 472 pages, 215 annexures, and six volumes. The first and second interim reports were handed over to the President on 20 December 2019 and on 2 March 2020, respectively.

The Commission comprises Chairman Justice de Silva, Court of Appeal Judge Justice Nishshanka Bandula Karunaratne, retired High Court Judges Nihal Sunil Rajapaksha and A.L. Bandula Kumara Atapattu, former Secretary to the Ministry of Justice R. Adhikari, and Secretary to the Commission Buwaneka Herath.

Posted in Uncategorized

Govt has printed Rs 40 billion in March alone – Sajith

Leader of the Opposition Sajith Premadasa says that the government has printed money worth Rs 40 billion in the month of March alone.

He mentioned speaking at a program held in Hambantota yesterday (April 03).

Premadasa said, “Rs 40 billion was printed in March alone. Where does this money go? Are they used for public service? Have houses been built for the public? Do youth get jobs? Are the prices of goods going down? Are reliefs given? Nothing is received. The leaders are enjoying luxuries after printing money worth Rs 40 billion.

Back then they promised [the country] will be taken towards prosperity. However, the way money is printed [the country] will not be taken towards prosperity, but towards Zimbabwe.”

The leader of Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) also commented on the depreciation of the Rupee.

He said that when the Rupee depreciated – ‘not as much as now’ – during the previous regime Minister Bandula Gunawardena held press conferences every day and claimed it was the incompetence of the government.

However, now that the Rupee has depreciated to Rs 202 against the US Dollar, Premadasa says he would like to question whether it is the skill or the incompetence of the current government.

“It is now clear that the government can neither manage the Rupee nor the country. That is the current situation.“

Posted in Uncategorized

Cardinal questions Maithripala’s talks of re-contesting for elections

Speaking to the media following the Easter Sunday Mass at St. Lucia’s Church in Kotahena this morning (04), Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith urged the government to take legal action against former President Maithripala Sirisena over the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks.

He went on to ask the question of how a President who left the country while knowing that the lives of innocent people were in danger can contest for elections once again.

“No need to delay taking action against him. We ask him to stay at home. How can these leaders ask for more responsibilities now without fulfilling the responsibilities that they already had. Do they have no shame?” the Cardinal asked.

The Cardinal also mentioned that the former president has been named as an offender in the report of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) on the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks.

He said there is no need to appoint new committees to look into the PCoI recommendations again. “We urge the government to simply implement the report without any drama. Ministers who were involved with perpetrators are now in parliament today, this is a disgrace to us. If justice was not delivered before April 21, we will take to the streets,” he said.

Health Minister sacks NMRA expert who opposed Chinese Sinopharm vaccine approval without data

A national drug regulatory authority member who stood strongly against approving COVID-19 vaccines, especially the Chinese Sinopharm vial, without data, was sacked by Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi on Friday.

Consultant Paediatrician Dr. LakKumar Fernando, a Board Member of the National Medicines Regulatory Authority (NMRA), was the nominee of the Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians.

Not only as an NMRA board member but also as part of the independent eight-member Panel of Experts on COVID-19 vaccines, Dr. Fernando’s stance has been that Sri Lanka should not approve for emergency-use listing any vaccine without proper data, as then the guinea pigs would be the people of this country.

“We as gatekeepers must ensure the protection of the people for whom we are doing this as a service,” Dr. Fernando, who is also a well-known dengue expert, told the Sunday Times. A very bad precedent is being set, he added.

“What the NMRA has been requesting over and again is for Phase 3 efficacy and safety data, as we need to follow the right protocols,” said Dr. Fernando, adding that this was also what the World Health Organisation (WHO) was asking for.

The NMRA has been embroiled in controversy over the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine, with the first four sackings of NMRA Board Members taking place on March 8, followed soon after by the resignation of the NMRA Chairperson, Prof. Asita de Silva.