Ex-Presidents Seek Return Of Bulletproof Cars

Former Presidents Mahinda Rajapaksa and Maithripala Sirisena have requested the Ministry of Public Security to return the bulletproof vehicles they previously used.

Following the repeal of the Presidential Rights Act, the vehicles were recently handed over to the Presidential Secretariat as required by law.

Minister of Public Security Ananda Wijepala said that the requests will be referred to the Security Review Committee.

The committee will include the Secretary to the Ministry of Public Security, Ravi Seneviratne, and the Inspector General of Police.

The Minister further stated that after the committee’s discussions, a decision will be made regarding the security arrangements for the former presidents and the bulletproof vehicles.

BBS monk Gnanasara Thera visits Mahinda

A group of monks, including Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) General Secretary Ven. Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera, have visited former President Mahinda Rajapaksa in Tangalle.

The meeting had taken place at the former President’s private residence in Tangalle.

“Mahinda Rajapaksa is an unforgettable President of the nation. He is a hero we have seen during our lifetime. Mahinda Rajapaksa ended a 30-year war, even though many said this guerrilla war could not be ended,” Ven. Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera said, speaking to the media.

Posted in Uncategorized

Cabinet Reshuffle: Three Ministers, Ten Deputy Ministers

The government today (October 10) appointed three new Cabinet Ministers and ten State Ministers, in a cabinet reshuffle aimed at accelerating development goals in line with the 2026 Budget.

Ministers:

1. Bimal Ratnayake : Minister of Transport, Highways and Urban Development

2. Anura Karunathilake: Minister of Ports and Civil Aviation Services

3. Dr. Susil Ranasinghe : Minister of Housing, Construction and Water Supply

Deputy Ministers:

1. Dr. Anil Jayantha Fernando : Deputy Minister of Finance and Planning

2. T.B. Sarath : Deputy Minister of Housing, Construction and Water Supply

3. M. M. Mohamed Muneer : Deputy Minister of Religious and Cultural Affairs

4. Eranga Gunasekera : Deputy Minister of Urban Development

5. Dr.Hansaka Wijemuni : Deputy Minister of Health

6. Aravinda Senarath Vitharana : Deputy Minister of Lands and Irrigation

7. Dinindu Saman Kumara : Deputy Minister of Youth Affairs

8. Nishantha Jayaweera : Deputy Minister of Economic Development

9. Dr. Kaushalya Ariyarathne : Deputy Minister of Mass Media

10. M. I. M. Arkam : Deputy Minister of Energy

Posted in Uncategorized

Why Bimal Rathnayake’s Portfolio Changed? – Deputy Minister Clarifies

Deputy Minister of Transport Prasanna Gunasena on Friday clarified that the recent change to Minister Bimal Rathnayake’s portfolio was a strategic decision and not a response to recent controversies.

The minister’s portfolio was restructured to include Urban Development while removing the subjects of Ports and Civil Aviation.

Gunasena’s clarification came in response to comments from ITAK MP Shanakiyan Rasamanickam, who had welcomed the removal of the Ports and Civil Aviation portfolio, linking it to the recent “323 container controversy.”

Rejecting the insinuation, the Deputy Minister explained that the Urban Development portfolio is more closely aligned with the Transport Ministry’s current goals. He noted the government’s plan to establish several multi-modal transport centers across the country, stating that urban development is intrinsically linked to the success of these major infrastructure projects.

“If you think that a person like Bimal Rathnayake, who has dedicated his entire life to public service, will be discouraged by words like that, you are mistaken,” Gunasena asserted. “We won’t get discouraged. The reason for the change is that the Urban Development portfolio is more aligned with our plans than Ports and Civil Aviation.”

He added, “It would be even better if we could get the Local Government portfolio under our ministry as well, but that’s not possible.”

SJB and UNP to collaborate under a joint political program – Sajith

Leader of the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) and Leader of the Opposition, Sajith Premadasa, announced that the SJB has decided to politically collaborate with the United National Party (UNP) under a joint program, based on the leadership and guidance of the SJB.

He stated that this unanimous decision was reached during the Working Committee meeting held yesterday (09) and at two Management Committee meetings held prior to it.

Expressing further views, Premadasa said that the two parties will continue to work together on practical and people-centered policy agreements aimed at addressing the challenges and issues faced by the country and its citizens, while maintaining the individual identities of both parties.

Posted in Uncategorized

Provincial Council elections will be held next year: Minister

The Provincial Council elections will be held next year, Minister of Foreign Affairs Vijitha Hearth told Parliament today.

He said discussions can be held to decide on the methodology on which the polls could be held.

“We can decide whether the elections will be held under the proportional representation system or under a mixed system,” he said.

Posted in Uncategorized

Ravi Seneviratne Says Key Figure Behind Easter Bombings Uncovered

The mastermind behind the 2019 Easter Sunday terror attacks has been identified, according to Secretary to the Ministry of Public Security Ravi Seneviratne.

He revealed this information while responding to a query raised by Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) General Secretary Nizam Kariapper during a meeting of Parliament’s High Posts Committee, chaired by Prime Minister Harini Amarasuriya.

Seneviratne made the disclosure on 8 October during the committee’s discussion on confirming his appointment as Public Security Secretary.

Kariapper later confirmed Seneviratne’s remarks in a post on X today (9).

Posted in Uncategorized

Sajin Vass Explains CID Summons Over Maithri’s ‘RAW’ Phone Calls

Former MP Sajin de Vass Gunawardena yesterday (8) clarified that he was summoned to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) because one of the calls received by former President Maithripala Sirisena from an Indian number—during the period when warnings were reportedly issued about the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks—had been made from an Indian phone number registered under his name.

Gunawardena appeared before the CID yesterday morning following a summons related to the ongoing investigation into the Easter Sunday terror attacks. Police confirmed that he was called to provide a statement regarding phone calls appearing in Sirisena’s call records that had originated from India.

The development follows former President Sirisena’s testimony that he received several calls from Indian numbers warning of possible terrorist attacks prior to the tragedy. During the analysis of those calls, investigators reportedly found that one number belonged to Gunawardena.

Gunawardena told reporters that his Indian phone number had appeared in Sirisena’s call logs, prompting the CID to seek clarification.

Posted in Uncategorized

IMF reaches staff-level agreement with Sri Lanka on fifth review

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Sri Lankan authorities have reached a staff-level agreement on economic policies to conclude the Fifth Review of Sri Lanka’s reform program supported by the IMF’s Extended Fund Facility.

Once the review is approved by the IMF Executive Board, Sri Lanka will have access to about US$347 million in financing.

The IMF said the economic reforms implemented by the Sri Lankan authorities have continued to support the recovery, with inflation progressing to target, reserves accumulating, and real GDP growth and revenue mobilization outperforming expectations.

“Performance under the program has been strong”, the IMF noted.

It noted that advancing reforms is key to ensuring macroeconomic stability, anchoring the recovery, and equipping Sri Lanka to better withstand external shocks amid an uncertain global environment.

An International Monetary Fund (IMF) mission team led by Evan Papageorgiou visited Sri Lanka from September 24 to October 9, 2025, to discuss recent macroeconomic developments and progress in implementing economic and financial policies under the Extended Fund Facility (EFF) arrangement.

Accordingly, Mission Chief Papageorgiou issued the following statement:

“IMF staff and the Sri Lankan authorities have reached staff-level agreement on the Fifth Review under the 4-year Extended Fund Facility (EFF) arrangement. The arrangement was approved by the IMF Executive Board for a total amount of SDR 2.3 billion (about US$3 billion) on March 20, 2023.

“The staff-level agreement is subject to IMF Executive Board approval, contingent on: (i) Parliamentary approval of the 2026 Appropriation Bill in line with program parameters and (ii) the completion of the financing assurances review, to confirm multilateral partners’ financing contributions and assess adequate progress with debt restructuring.

“Upon completion of the Executive Board review, Sri Lanka would have access to SDR 254 million (about US$347 million), bringing the total IMF financial support disbursed under the arrangement to SDR 1,524 million (about US$2.04 billion).

“Sri Lanka’s ambitious reform agenda continues to deliver commendable outcomes. The economy grew by 4.8 percent y/y in 2025H1 and we expect growth to remain solid in 2025. Inflation has returned to positive territory and in September prices rose by 1.5 percent y/y. Gross official reserves reached US$6.1 billion at end-September 2025. Fiscal performance in 2025H1 has been strong, primarily supported by taxes on motor vehicle imports. Debt restructuring is nearing completion.

“Program performance is strong, underpinned by good fiscal revenue outcomes and improvements in external resilience. The reform momentum should be sustained to safeguard macroeconomic stability and enhance Sri Lanka’s resilience to shocks. This is particularly important given heightened downside risks to the economy from persistent trade policy uncertainty and geopolitical tensions.

“The 2026 Budget should be in line with program parameters to continue building fiscal space on the back of strong revenue measures and prudent spending execution. This requires sustained efforts to improve tax compliance, broaden the tax base, and tackle revenue leakages by strengthening the tax exemption frameworks. Enhancing public financial management, avoiding the reemergence of expenditure arrears, and promoting high-quality and efficient public expenditure, including by addressing capital spending under-execution, will contribute to safeguarding fiscal discipline and transparency.

“At the same time, it is instrumental to maintain cost-recovery energy pricing, strengthen the governance of state-owned enterprises (SOEs), and resolve their legacy debts to ensure financial viability and minimize fiscal risks. Upcoming bills on public-private partnerships, SOEs, public procurement, and public asset management should be consistent with the Public Financial Management Act and best practices.

“Protecting the poor and vulnerable should remain a priority. There is scope to strengthen the design of the welfare benefit payment scheme to improve the targeting, adequacy, and coverage of social spending.

“Accelerating the finalization of bilateral debt agreements with the remaining official and commercial creditors is key to restoring debt sustainability and improving investor confidence. A swift operationalization of the Public Debt Management Office will be a key step towards prudent debt management practices.

“It is important for monetary policy to remain data-driven and to ensure price stability. Central bank independence should continue to be safeguarded, including by continuing to refrain from monetary financing of the budget. Efforts should continue to rebuild external buffers through reserve accumulation to adequate levels, while allowing for exchange rate flexibility. Resolving non-performing loans, strengthening governance and oversight of state-owned banks, and improving the insolvency and resolution frameworks are important to foster credit growth and safeguard financial sector stability.

“It is crucial to speed up the implementation of governance reforms outlined in the government’s action plan. Advancing procurement reforms, strengthening the AML/CFT framework, prioritizing anti-corruption measures in revenue administration, including digitalization, and implementation of electronic asset declarations will contribute to reducing corruption vulnerabilities. Recruitment at the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) should be accelerated and CIABOC’s independence safeguarded in line with the Anti-Corruption Act. Structural reforms will be key to lifting Sri Lanka’s potential growth.

“The IMF team held meetings with His Excellency President and Finance Minister Anura Kumara Dissanayake, Honorable Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, Honorable Labor Minister and Deputy Minister of Economic Development Prof. Anil Jayantha Fernando, Honorable Minister of Industry Mr. Sunil Handunnetti, Central Bank of Sri Lanka Governor Dr. P. Nandalal Weerasinghe, Secretary to the Treasury Dr. Harshana Suriyapperuma, Senior Economic Advisor to the President Mr. Duminda Hulangamuwa, Chief Advisor to the President on Digital Economy Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, Governor of Central Province Prof. Sarath Abayakon, and other senior government and CBSL officials. The IMF team also met with parliamentarians, representatives from the private sector, civil society organizations, and development partners.

“We would like to thank the authorities for the excellent collaboration during the mission, including while visiting the Central and Uva provinces. We reaffirm our commitment to support Sri Lanka achieve strong, sustainable growth.”

Mass grave excavations: Investigators urged to initiate

The Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) stated that investigative agencies, instead of waiting for courts to issue orders to conduct excavations related to suspected mass graves, must carry out investigations and seek the necessary court orders based on their findings.

Speaking to The Daily Morning, HRCSL Commissioner Nimal G. Punchihewa said that although a court order is required to conduct any excavation, such as in cases involving suspected mass graves, it is not an initiative taken by the courts themselves. Instead, he said that it is the responsibility of the relevant investigative agencies including the Police to carry out the necessary inquiries and then seek the appropriate court orders.

“A court order is issued only upon requests made by the relevant parties based on the facts established through preliminary investigations. If the facts are investigated and reported to the relevant court, the court will allow the excavations. The court does not take the initiative in such matters. Therefore, the relevant parties should not wait for the courts to take the initiative to issue orders. They should report facts before courts and request orders.”

Sri Lanka has a long history of mass grave discoveries, many believed to be linked to the country’s decades-long conflict and episodes of political violence. One of the most well-known cases is the discovery of the Chemmani mass grave in Jaffna, which was said to contain the remains of individuals who had disappeared during military operations in the North.

On an earlier occasion, the Minister of Public Security Ananda Wijepala said that the role of the Police in such cases is limited to providing security and assisting in excavation activities, not initiating them.

“The Police don’t have to go around digging up graves. That responsibility lies with the Justice Ministry. We only provide the necessary security. However, if there’s a complaint about a mass grave, the Police will report it to court and carry out any required actions, including excavations, based on the court’s instructions.”