Opposition accused of shielding real masterminds behind Easter Attacks

Government spokesperson Minister Nalinda Jayatissa has accused the opposition of trying to protect the true perpetrators of the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks, likening their actions to those of the former Rajapaksa administration.

Speaking to reporters on the no-confidence motion against Deputy Defence Minister Maj. Gen. (Ret.) Aruna Jayasekara, Jayatissa dismissed calls to remove him over his tenure as Security Forces Eastern Province commander before the attacks — a period still under investigation.

Jayatissa said the government would not act on the opposition’s demands, claiming Jayasekara’s name had not been raised during previous parliamentary or presidential inquiries. He alleged the opposition’s sudden interest was an attempt to divert attention from “the real mastermind and the real accused.”

He added that the CID’s investigations are targeting those who failed to act despite prior intelligence on the attacks.

Tamil Nadu fishermen strike in Rameswaram over frequent Sri Lanka Navy arrests

Rameswaram fishermen in Tamil Nadu have commenced an indefinite strike condemning frequent arrests by Sri Lanka Navy, according to India media reports.

A unanimous decision was reportedly taken by members at the Tamil Nadu’s All Mechanised Fishermen Consultation meeting.

Accordingly, over 700 mechanised boats remained anchored in fishing harbours in Rameswaram islet, demanding the Indian central government to secure release of fishers arrested by Sri Lanka.

Around 10,000 fishermen are taking part in the indefinite strike.

According to fishermen associations in Rameswaram, 61 fishers have been arrested by Sri Lankan navy since June 15. None of them has been released by the Sri Lankan government so far.

The fishers said the Indian central government must immediately start dialogue with Sri Lanka and secure the release of all the fishers along with their boats.

They also demanded that Katchatatheevu island must be taken back from Sri Lanka.

Further, fishermen have announced a protest in Thangachimadam today, hunger strike on August 15 and rail roko on August 19 to press for their demands.

Posted in Uncategorized

No reports of enforced disappearances in Sri Lanka in 2024: US State Department

The United States says there were no reports of enforced disappearances in Sri Lanka by or on behalf of government authorities in 2024.

The US State Department said the Office on Missing Persons (OMP) also reported it had not received any new complaints of missing persons or enforced disappearances in the past year.

This was highlighted in the 2024 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices issued by the US State Department.

Meanwhile, the US State Department stated Sri Lankan authorities continue to cite the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA), the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) act, and the penal code to arrest and punish critics of the government and deter criticism of government policies or officials.

According to the US State Department, there were reports of harassment and intimidation of Sri Lankan journalists covering sensitive topics.

The annual report by the US State Department stated, “Some journalists in the Northern and Eastern Provinces, including citizen journalists, reported harassment, threats, intimidation, and interference from members of state security services, especially when reporting on topics related to the civil war or its aftermath, including missing persons.”

The US State Department also noted that although the Online Safety Act (OSA) drew sharp criticism from civil society activists, who feared government restrictions on online speech would stifle dissent, as well as from tech sector professionals, no amendments have been made thus far by the government.

The US State Department report highlighted that although the present government made a commitment to making revisions to the OSA, it has not taken any initiatives.

Furthermore, according to the US State Department report there was little progress investigating allegations of alleged abuses from the 1983-2009 civil war or from the 1988-89 Marxist insurrection.

The 2024 Report on Human Rights Practices in Sri Lanka also said the government took minimal steps to identify and punish officials who committed human rights abuses.

The US State Department released its long-awaited reports on international human rights on Tuesday, and had drastically reduced the types of government repression and abuse that the United States under President Donald Trump deems worthy of criticism.

The agency said the “streamlined” human rights reports adhere more closely to what’s required to be in them by law. But critics say the reduced content lets authoritarians off the hook.

Since the 1970s, the U.S. has compiled these reports on every country in the world, highlighting abuses such as restrictions on free assembly, unfair elections and punishment of minority groups.

Body floating in Muththaiyankaddu tank: Army denies accusations, assures cooperation for police probe

Army Headquarters yesterday (12) denied accusations regarding a person, Ethirmanasingham Kapilraj, found dead in the Muththaiyankaddu tank.Army spokesman Brigadier Varuna Gamage said that there was absolutely no basis for these accusations against the Army. Responding to The Island queries, Brig. Gamage said that troops, based at a camp, along the Oddusuddan-Muththaiyankaddu road, on the night of 07 August, had thwarted an attempt by a group of persons to enter an Army camp. “Troops apprehended one of them, while the rest fled. We didn’t pursue them,” Brig. Gamage said, adding that on the directions of Army Headquarters the camp fully cooperated with the police.

The spokesman said that three soldiers had been taken into custody and remanded till 19 August, pending further investigations. Contrary to claims, two of them had been arrested on the charge of cooperating with the intruders, while the other for assaulting them. The spokesman emphasised that none of them had been taken in regarding the recovery of Kapilraj’s body.

According to him, the camp is manned by the 12th battalion of the Sinha Regiment and the person, who had been apprehended on the night of 07 August, was later handed over to his parents. Brig Gamage said that various interested parties were seeking to exploit the incident but those living in the area maintained good relations with the 12 SR base.

The spokesman denied claims that troops attacked the group after asking them to come to take away some discarded items. That was nothing but a blatant lie, Brig. Gamage said, adding that the Army wouldn’t hesitate to deal with the wrongdoers. The officer was referring to the soldiers remanded for allegedly cooperating with the intruders. (SF)

Posted in Uncategorized

‘Protect Black Soil’: Youth lead protest in Mannar against destructive ilmenite mining

A youth-led protest took place in Mannar on Wednesday under the rallying cry ‘Protect Black Soil’, as young people took to the streets to oppose proposed ilmenite mineral sand mining by multinational corporations in the district.

The demonstration, held on 6 August at 10:30 a.m. in the Mannar Bazaar area, comes amid growing concerns over the irreversible environmental damage posed by large-scale extraction projects, particularly those spearheaded by an Australian-based company that has long sought to exploit the district’s ilmenite-rich sands.

Protesters marched through the heart of Mannar town, carrying placards and chanting slogans as they moved from the town circle past the local police station, district hospital road, and public grounds, before returning to their starting point. The procession marked the latest escalation in a rising grassroots campaign determined to halt the destruction of ancestral Tamil lands.

For years, local communities have resisted the encroachment of mining corporations, warning of the dire consequences such projects would have on the environment, livelihoods, and water security. Experts and residents have sounded the alarm that ilmenite mining could result in seawater intrusion into freshwater aquifers within the next decade, potentially devastating farming and drinking water sources across the region.

Although mining operations had previously stalled due to delayed permits, it has now emerged that the Sri Lankan government is preparing to greenlight the project. An Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) submitted by the Australian firm received a favourable response from the Central Environmental Authority, paving the way for permit approvals.

In response, Mannar’s youth have launched a wider awareness campaign to educate the public and resist what they describe as an existential threat to their future. A petition campaign was launched at the protest, with signatures being collected to be delivered to Sri Lankan president Anura Kumara Dissanayake, demanding an immediate halt to the project.

Ilmenite mining has become one of the latest flashpoints in the Tamil North-East, where resource exploitation, militarisation, and land grabs continue to threaten the Tamil homeland.

Posted in Uncategorized

SLPP Files Petition Challenging Bill to Slash Ex-Presidents’ Privileges

A petition has been filed by the SLPP member before the Supreme Court challenging the government’s bill seeking to revoke privileges granted to former Presidents.

The petition was submitted by Renuka Perera, Administrative Secretary of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), with the Attorney General named as the respondent.

The petitioner stated that the government had presented this bill to Parliament on the 7th to revoke the legal rights granted to former Presidents.

The petition highlighted that clauses 1 to 4 of the proposed bill violated the principle of the separation of powers guaranteed by the Constitution.

Furthermore, the petition alleged that one or more clauses in the bill infringed upon the sovereignty of the country and the people’s sovereignty as guaranteed by the Constitution.

Overall, the petitioner contended that the clauses of the proposed bill violated the fundamental principles enshrined in the entire Constitution.

He further alleged that through this bill, fundamental human rights guaranteed under Articles 1, 3, 4, and 12(1) of the Constitution were directly violated.

Accordingly, the petitioner requested the Supreme Court to issue a ruling stating that for the questionable clauses of the bill to be approved, they had to be passed by a special two-thirds majority in Parliament and be subject to a referendum.

The Presidents’ Entitlements (Repeal) Bill, aimed at repealing the Presidents’ Entitlements Act, was presented to Parliament by Minister of Justice Harshana Nanayakkara on 7 August. The bill was gazetted on 31 July and seeks to abolish special privileges extended to former Presidents and their widows.

Earlier in July, the Cabinet of Ministers approved the proposal to gazette and present the draft bill to amend the Presidents’ Entitlements Act (No. 4 of 1986).

Posted in Uncategorized

PM Harini and Indian High Commissioner discuss ways to strengthen bilateral cooperation

High Commissioner of India in Colombo Santhosh Jha has called on Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya at the Prime Minister’s Office.

During the meeting, the Prime Minister highlighted the importance of building stronger cooperation between the two countries, especially in the areas of Education., according to a statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Amarasuriya also highlighted the need for a training programme for officials in the education sector to develop the skills in the area of leadership and planning, and pointed out the urgent need to address the teacher shortage of Tamil medium.

She has reportedly shared an update on the ongoing education reforms in Sri Lanka aimed at improving access and quality.

Meanwhile, the High Commissioner of India had briefed on the ongoing projects and further elaborated on school projects in the plantation sector, Smart classroom and Teacher training programme and expressed interest in working more closely together in this area.

Both sides also had a productive discussion on the importance of future collaboration in the field of scholarships between universities, the PMO added.

Posted in Uncategorized

UN Rights Chief to present report on “Human Rights situation in Sri Lanka” at next month’s UNHRC session

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk, who visited Sri Lanka in June, is scheduled to present his report titled “Situation of Human Rights in Sri Lanka” at the upcoming 60th session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland.

The 60th session of the Human Rights Council is scheduled to begin on September 8 and will continue until October 8.

According to the agenda released by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, High Commissioner Volker Türk will present the report on Sri Lanka on the opening day of the session.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk undertook a four-day official visit to Sri Lanka in June, and he is scheduled to include his observations in the report.

His visit to the Chemmani mass grave site is also expected to feature prominently in the report to be submitted to the UN Human Rights Council.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly intending on tabling a new resolution on Sri Lanka at the upcoming 60th session of the UNHRC next month.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Vijitha Herath will represent Sri Lanka at the UNHRC session and is scheduled to deliver the government’s official statement.

Chemmani excavation uncovers 147 skeletons

The ongoing excavation at the Chemmani mass grave concluded its activities on August 6, having uncovered 147 skeletons. Excavation work was temporarily halted on August 6 and is scheduled to resume on August 22. The court case related to the mass grave will be heard at the Jaffna Magistrate’s Court on August 14, where a full report of the findings will also be submitted.

On August 4, significant progress was made at the site. Three Commissioners from the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka Prof. Thaiyamuthu Thanaraj, Prof. Fathima Farzana Haniffa, and Dr. Gehan Dinuk Gunatilleke visited the site to observe the excavation. They were joined by Jaffna Regional Coordinator Thangavel Kanagaraj and other officials, who engaged in discussions with forensic experts on the findings after 30 days of the Phase 2 excavation.

That same day, Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) scanning began to locate potential hidden burial sites. Conducted by the Faculty of Technology at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura using specialised equipment, around 20 percent of the scanning was completed, with the rest planned for the coming weeks.

Following a court order, clothing and personal artefacts recovered from the grave were displayed publicly on August 5 to allow families to identify belongings of their missing loved ones. Over 200 people attended, including relatives, officials from the Office on Missing Persons (OMP), and members of the public. The display was organised with support from students of the University of Jaffna’s Medical Faculty and judicial medical officers. However, no items were positively identified.

On the same day, GPR scanning was completed, pinpointing specific areas within the Chemmani Siththupaththi Hindu Cemetery for further excavation. The findings will be submitted to court on August 14. Victims’ lawyers are also expecting a soil analysis report to be presented at the hearing.

August 6 marked a solemn day as six more skeletons were unearthed, raising the total to 147, with 140 fully exhumed. Among the remains were infants, whose fragile condition required especially careful handling. After 41 days of excavation across both phases, nine days in Phase 1 and 32 in Phase 2, the forensic team temporarily paused work due to physical and emotional exhaustion.

Source:Sunday Observer.lk

Three soldiers arrested over alleged murder of Tamil civilian in Mullaitivu

Three Sri Lankan army soldiers have been arrested in connection with the murder of 32-year-old Tamil civilian Edirmanasingham Kapilraj, whose body was discovered in the Muththaiyankaddu tank in Mullaitivu on Saturday.

The arrests were made following allegations by local residents that Kapilraj was beaten to death by soldiers after he and four others were summoned to the 13th Battalion of the Sri Lanka National Guard in Muththaiyankaddu on August 7 to collect scrap metal.

Upon arrival, the group was allegedly assaulted by around 20 soldiers inside the camp.

While three of the men fled by jumping into a nearby tank and another escaped with the help of bystanders, Kapilraj went missing. His body was found the following morning.

Relatives of the deceased allege that Kapilraj was murdered by the military and that his body was dumped in the tank.

Mullaitivu District Judge Dharmalingham Pratheepan has ordered a post-mortem examination.

Local journalists allege the army had been using village youth to illicitly sell military scrap and channel the proceeds towards drug smuggling into the camp.

Villagers claim this shadow operation was run by several soldiers from the 13th Battalion, and that Kapilraj may have been killed after being drawn into this illegal network.

Police teams, including officers in charge of Mankulam, Oddusuddan, and Puthukkudiyiruppu stations, are conducting an ongoing investigation.

Tensions escalated during a visit by police to the military camp, where local residents staged a heated protest demanding swift justice.

The mobile phone numbers of several implicated soldiers, allegedly used to summon villagers to the camp, were handed over to the police by local residents.

This led to the arrest of four more soldiers, two of whom have since been remanded along with the earlier suspect.

The three soldiers have been remanded until August 19.

Posted in Uncategorized