Sri Lanka set to pay Rs.300-500 million to Adani

Sri Lanka is set to pay Rs.300-500 million to India’s Adani Company for initial costs sustained by it in terms of the two renewable energy projects, a top source said.

India’s Adani Green Energy withdrew from the projects after differences with the National People’s Power (NPP) government over pricing. The company asked for reimbursement of the initial expenses it incurred here for the execution of the project. The letter was sent in May this year announcing withdrawal from the project and seeking reimbursement.

Afterwards, the Sustainable Energy Authority of Sri Lanka, upon request by the Energy Ministry, sought legal advice on whether payments should be made as requested by the Indian company.

The source said, on condition of anonymity, that legal advice was received yesterday for reimbursements of some of the expenses, and the total amount would be in the range of Rs.300 to 500 million. The Authority is firm that payment made by Adani for the energy permit need not be reimbursed no matter what. However, the exact amount of reimbursements would be determined after consultation of the Attorney General and approval of the board of directors of the Authority within the next few months.

The company was to build wind power plant projects in the Mannar and Pooneryn towns in the Northern Province, investing $442 million.

The project was expected to add at least 350 MW to the national grid by 2025. The company authorities sent a letter to the government authorities in May this year asking for reimbursement of expenses it made initially for research and investigation along with the Sustainable Energy Authority (SEA) in Sri Lanka.

The source said that the entire deal with Adani would be closed after clearance of due reimbursements for fresh tenders to be called for the same renewable energy projects in the north.

“Adani can also participate in the tender process then,” the source said.

Adani struck the deal for the projects with the previous government. The Cabinet approval had been given for them at that time.

Posted in Uncategorized

US Designates Group Behind Pahalgam Attack ‘Foreign Terrorist Organisation’

The US Department of State added The Resistance Front (TRF) as a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) and Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT). 

TRF, a Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT) front and proxy, claimed responsibility for the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam attack which killed 26 civilians.

This was the deadliest attack on civilians in India since the 2008 Mumbai attacks conducted by LeT.

TRF has also claimed responsibility for several attacks against Indian security forces, including most recently in 2024.

The Department of State said that the move demonstrates the Trump Administration’s commitment to protecting US national security interests, countering terrorism, and enforcing President Trump’s call for justice for the Pahalgam attack.

TRF and other associated aliases have been added to LeT’s designation as a FTO and SDGT pursuant to section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and Executive Order 13224, respectively.

Mass graves across Sri Lanka: Protesters demand justice, accountability

A protest calling for justice and accountability for mass graves across Sri Lanka—including the recently spotlighted Chemmani site—was held yesterday in front of the Fort Railway Station in Colombo, yesterday (17).

The demonstration drew civil society activists and members of various political groups.

Protesters highlighted that numerous mass graves have been uncovered across the country since the 1990s, both in the North and the South. They accused successive governments of failing to conduct thorough investigations or ensure justice for the victims. Demonstrators noted that despite widespread public outcry, no meaningful accountability was achieved. They warned that Chemmani could meet the same fate if government inaction continues.

The protest was briefly disrupted when Police intervened to stop participants from marching towards the Presidential Secretariat.

Rights group demands justice for civilians buried in Chemmani mass grave

In February this year, these mass graves resurfaced when construction workers began the groundwork to put up a crematorium contracted by the Nallur Pradeshiya Sabha. Fr. Sakthivel further said that skeletons and bone fragments of infants, women and girls were unearthed during excavations

Over the past 2-3 decades, several mass graves were unearthed from different parts of the country. These include Sooriyakanda, Hokandara, Wawul Kele, Kottawa Forest Reserve in Galle, state-owned Walpita Farm, Matale Hospital premises, Thiruketheesvaram, Sathosa stores premises in Vavuniya, Kokkuthoduvai in Mullaitivu and the Trincomalee playground

At least 65 bone fragments, skeletons and human remains were unearthed during the Chemmani mass grave excavations that commenced in June this year. Many of these bone fragments were said to be of infants, women and girls who were allegedly killed by the military during the height of the ethnic conflict. In an attempt to demand justice for atrocities committed during the height of the ethnic conflict, and for civilians buried in numerous mass graves around the country, the People’s Power for Justice staged a peaceful protest in Pettah on Thursday (17).

The protesters called on the government to expedite exhumations and to bring about closure to victims. Toys, school bags and clothes unearthed during recent exhumations reveal the harrowing injustice faced by infants and school children during this period. Details regarding the Chemmani mass graves were revealed following a statement given by the main accused of the landmark Krishanthi Kumaraswamy rape and murder case in 1998, minutes before the death sentence was passed on him and nine other convicts.

Speaking to the media during the protest, Fr. M. Sakthivel representing People’s Power for Justice claimed that the JVP regime supported the Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga regime at the time and that they didn’t make any attempt to unearth mass graves.

“After the military took control of the Jaffna Peninsula, 18-year old Krishanthi Kumaraswamy was raped, murdered and buried by military personnel in 1996,” said Fr. Sakthivel. Her mother, brother and neighbour who went in search of Krishanthi too were murdered and buried. During a lawsuit, Lance Corporal Somaratne Rajapaksa indicated about the mass graves in Chemmani. He claimed that over 400 youth were subsequently killed. When exhumations commenced, around 15 more skeletons were unearthed.”

In February this year, these mass graves resurfaced when construction workers began the groundwork to put up a crematorium contracted by the Nallur Pradeshiya Sabha. Fr. Sakthivel further said that skeletons and bone fragments of infants, women and girls were unearthed during excavations. “We want to know the reasons as to why the military committed such atrocities after they took control over the Jaffna Peninsula and the LTTE was subsequently chased out. Were these infants LTTE supporters? Were they terrorists? Everybody has a right to live on this land. The military has been appointed to protect citizens of a country. But it now looks like the military has committed genocide in the North and East. It was committed in the 1990s, and then another genocide was committed in 2009 in Mullivaikkal. Therefore those from the south has joined hands with victims from the North to support them in their fight for justice.

“Regimes from the South would want to sweep these atrocities under the carpet. They are duty bound to safeguard the military. Successive leaders refrained from exhuming these mass graves. The Matale mass grave is linked to the JVP insurrections but JVP members never appeared on behalf of the victims. They have never spoken about their own brothers who were killed by the military in this manner. So how could we expect the incumbent government to voice for the rights of civilians killed in the North? We like to announce that what happened in Sri Lanka is indeed a genocide. There’s proof of a genocide that happened in Chemmani. Time has come to serve justice to these victims,” he underscored.

Over the past 2-3 decades, several mass graves were unearthed from different parts of the country. These include Sooriyakanda, Hokandara, Wawul Kele, Kottawa Forest Reserve in Galle, state-owned Walpita Farm, Matale Hospital premises, Thiruketheesvaram, Sathosa stores premises in Vavuniya, Kokkuthoduvai in Mullaitivu and the Trincomalee playground. Jaffna Hospital’s Judicial Medical Officer Dr. Pranavan Selliah informed courts that exhumations would recommence on July 21.

Posted in Uncategorized

Ranil Accuses US of Breaching IMF Debt Deal

Former Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe emphasized that the United States, as a member of the Official Creditor Committee (OCC) and a signatory to the IMF’s Extended Fund Facility (EFF), has a responsibility to support Sri Lanka’s debt restructuring efforts. “They must help us now. Otherwise, they are in breach of the agreement,” he said, accusing the U.S. of preventing Sri Lanka from repaying its bondholders.

Wickremesinghe urged the Sri Lankan government to take a firmer stance. “We must now tell the IMF and the bondholders to go to the U.S. and collect the money. Why are we just going and saying, ‘We’ll buy Coca-Cola from you or we’ll buy gas from you’? You are in breach of this.”

Wickremesinghe lamented the erosion of globalization’s benefits, stating, “The world is moving, and we are getting left behind.” He recalled how, in 1990, Vietnam’s Minister of Industry had sought advice from Sri Lanka on foreign exchange strategies. “Today, Vietnam is ahead. So is Cambodia. Bangladesh is going ahead. And we are still grappling with the same issues.”

A central concern raised by Wickremesinghe was Sri Lanka’s strained trade relationship with the United States. He referenced the 30% tariff imposed on Sri Lankan exports to the U.S. during Donald Trump’s presidency, arguing that such barriers have severely impacted the country’s ability to compete. “You can’t survive with 30%. They’re going to ask for less. I hope they succeed. But otherwise, we’re stuck.”

Wickremesinghe described the current global landscape as one of economic bullying and disruption, where long-standing trade agreements forged over the past 25 years have been abruptly discarded. “New arrangements — not even formal agreements — have replaced them in just eight weeks,” he said, highlighting the unprecedented pace of change and the uncertainty surrounding its impact on the global economy.

Posted in Uncategorized

US offers 0% duty on 70–80% of Sri Lankan exports: Dy Minister

The United States has offered to accept 70 to 80% of products exported from Sri Lanka without imposing any tariffs, Deputy Minister of Economic Development (Prof.) Anil Jayantha Fernando stated.

The offer has been made during on-going discussions between Sri Lanka and the US following the decision by US President Donald Trump earlier this year to impose reciprocal tariffs on countries based on existing trade deficits.

Speaking during the “Ada Derana Big Focus” program held today (17), Deputy Minister Anil Jayantha Fernando confirmed that the US has offered Sri Lanka a list of 1,161 products for exports including apparel and 42 products related to the Agricultural industry.

The Deputy Minister of Economic Development stated that the details of the agreement with the United States cannot be disclosed yet, as discussions related to tariff concessions have not been finalized.

He added due to the technical nature and diplomatic protocol, matters under discussion will not be made public at this juncture.

Deputy Minister of Economic Development Anil Jayantha Fernando said Sri Lanka is also in discussions on the possibility of securing 0% tariffs on imports from the US.

He said, “When it comes to imports, currently goods imported from the U.S. fall within a 0% to 20% tariff range. So even if we slightly reduce the rates on some of those items, it will not result in a significant loss of revenue for the government, as we import only around USD 300 million worth from the U.S.”

Meanwhile, a delegation from Sri Lanka is scheduled to leave for the United States tomorrow (18) to continue discussions on further reducing U.S. tariff rates.

According to the recent announcement by the White House, goods exported to the United States from Sri Lanka will be subject to a 30% tariff from August 1.

Chemmani mass grave excavations to resume on July 21

JMO Jaffna general hospital Dr. Pranavan Selliah has informed court that excavations of the Chemmani mass grave in Jaffna will resume on July 21.

He said excavations in the second stage continued for 24 days under the supervision of Jaffna Magistrate A. Anandaraja and the finds included the skeletal remains of 65 bodies and they are at present in his custody.

Bags, footwear, bangles, and clothes were among other finds that are under strict security of the police.

The skeletal remains of human bodies had been recovered first on February 16 by the workers who carried out excavations at the site to lay the foundation for a crematorium under a project contracted by the Nallur Pradeshiya Sabha.

Nallur police had initiated action on information from the contractor and provided protection to the site.

Posted in Uncategorized

Shani Abeysekara named as witness in Ekneligoda disappearance case

The Attorney General has informed the Colombo Trial-at-Bar Judges Namal Balalle, Mahesh Weeraman and Sujeewa Nishshanka that the current Director of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Shani Abeysekara, has been named as a witness in the ongoing case concerning the abduction and disappearance of journalist Prageeth Ekneligoda on January 25, 2010.

Former Commanding Officer of the Giritale Army Camp, Lieutenant Colonel Shammi Kumara Ratna, and nine other members of the Military Intelligence Unit have been named as accused in the case.

China donates school uniform fabric worth Rs. 5.17 bln to Sri Lanka for 2025

China will always remain a trusted friend and ally of Sri Lanka, said Chinese Ambassador to Sri Lanka, Qi Zhenhong, during a ceremony held at the Ministry of Education in Battaramulla today (16).

At the event, it was officially announced that the entire requirement of fabric for school uniforms for the year 2025—valued at Rs. 5,171 million—has been provided as a grant by the Government of China.

The ceremony was attended by the Prime Minister and Minister of Education, Higher Education, and Vocational Education, Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, along with other dignitaries.

In his address, Ambassador Qi Zhenhong stated:

“China will always be your reliable brother and helper whenever Sri Lanka needs it. Children are not only the future of this country but also the heirs of the China–Sri Lanka friendship. Every stitch on their uniforms will tell the story of mutual cooperation between our two ancient civilizations. I highly appreciate the contribution and dedication of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya to the education sector in Sri Lanka.”

Speaking at the event, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya expressed her gratitude to the Chinese government and people:

“Sri Lanka and China share a long-standing friendship and tradition of cooperation. The donation of school uniform fabric is a significant gesture in this enduring relationship. In 2023 and 2024, the Chinese government provided a substantial portion of our national requirement for school uniform materials. In 2025, they have donated the entire supply.

This support comes at a very challenging time for Sri Lanka and is deeply appreciated. Our government has already submitted a request for continued assistance from China for the year 2026 as well. On behalf of the children and parents of our country, I extend heartfelt thanks to the Chinese government and the people of China.”

Posted in Uncategorized

Adani, Sri Lankan authorities to be entangled in legal wrangle ?

India’s Adani Green Energy and the government authorities are poised to be involved in a legal wrangle over the reimbursement of initial expenses made by the company before it withdrew from the renewable energy projects in Sri Lanka.

The company withdrew from the project after the Sri Lankan government ,led by the National People’s Power (NPP) was unprepared to press ahead with it according to terms agreed upon by the previous government which struck the agreement.

The company took that decision after Sri Lanka, under the new government led by the National People’s Power ( NPP), sought to lower the cost of the power generated. The NPP government disagreed with the cost agreed upon by the last government which struck the project with Adani. The company was to build a wind power plant project in the Mannar and Pooneryn towns in the northern province, investing $442 million.

The project was expected to add at least 350 MW to the national grid by 2025.The company authorities sent a letter to the government authorities in May this year asking for reimbursement of expenses it made initially for research and investigation along with the Sustainable Energy Authority (SEA) in Sri Lanka.

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Sri Lanka is currently in the process of seeking legal advice about reimbursements sought by the company for some expenses. The Authority is adamant that it cannot reimburse payment made for the energy permit. It is, however, prepared to consider reimbursement of other expenses depending on legal advice.

An informed source said that legal cases might entail due to differences over reimbursements following legal advice.