Visas for foreigners residing in SL extended by 30 days: Immigration Dept.

The validity period of all types of visas that being allowed currently for foreigners residing in Sri Lanka has been extended by 30 days, the Immigration and Emigration Department said.

The Controller General of the Department said the days extended are from September 7 to October 7.

He said only Visa fees applicable for that period will be charged for the Visas that expire within this period and are exempted from charging overstay penalties.

To obtain a tourist visa (maximum nine months from the date of arrival), tourist visa holders are hereby advised to pay the relevant visa fee and get the visa extension via the link (https://eservices.immigration.gov.lk/) on or before October 7.

If you intend to leave Sri Lanka during the aforementioned period, your journey will be facilitated by paying the relevant visa fee at the airport, the Controller General said.

By visiting the head office in Battaramulla on or before October 7 and getting the visa endorsed in the passport by paying the relevant visa fees.

The visa extension applies to all valid resident visa holders before October 7. The Department said.

The Controller General requested to contact the department through 070-7101050 from 8.30 am to 3.00 pm on working days to make an appointment.

The visa endorsement shall be obtained by visiting the head office in Battaramulla on or before October 7 and paying the relevant visa fee, the Controller General added.

Quarantine curfew extended till 13th September

The Government has decided to extend the quarantine curfew till 13th September.

The decision was taken when the Covid Task Force met with President Gotabaya Rajapaksa for its regular meeting today.

The President reviewed the current situation with regards to the spread of the Covid virus and decided to extend the quarantine curfew.

Army Commander, General Shavendra Silva said that the curfew will continue till 4am on 13th September.

The quarantine curfew was set to be lifted on Monday 6th September.

State Minister of Primary Health Care, Epidemics and COVID Disease Control, Dr. (Mrs.) Sudarshini Fernandopulle had proposed extending the quarantine curfew by another 1-2 weeks.

The curfew was to be lifted last Monday but was later extended till 6th September.

Posted in Uncategorized

New Zealand Police kill ‘extremist’ Sri Lankan national inspired by Islamic State

A Sri Lankan national who had been in New Zealand for 10 years, has been shot and killed by Police after he stabbed and wounded at least six people in a supermarket in the city of Auckland.

New Zealand police on Friday shot and killed a “violent extremist” who was known to the police, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, Reuters reported.

“A violent extremist undertook a terrorist attack on innocent New Zealanders,” Ardern told a briefing.

The attacker was a Sri Lankan national who had been in New Zealand for 10 years and had been a “person of interest” for about five years, she said.

The man was killed within 60 seconds of beginning the attack, she said, adding that he had been inspired by the Islamic State militant group.

“It was hateful, it was wrong. It was carried out by an individual, not a faith,” Ardern said. “He alone carries the responsibility for these acts.”

A video posted on social media showed shoppers in the New Lynn supermarket shortly after the attacker struck.

“There’s someone here with a knife … he’s got a knife,” a woman can heard saying. “Somebody got stabbed.”

A guard asked people to leave the shopping mall shortly before about six shots rang out.

Of the six wounded people, three were in critical condition, one in serious condition and another in moderate condition, the St John ambulance service said in a statement to Reuters.

Jailor who gave mobile phone to Bathiudeen transferred

Investigation revealed that a jailor at the Magazine Prison had given the mobile phone to former Minister Rishad Bathiudeen who is currently in remand custody at the Magazine Prison.

Prisons Spokesman Chandana Ekanayake said the prison headquarters has taken steps to transfer the jailor from the Magazine Prison to the Vavuniya Prison with immediate effect subject to disciplinary action.

The prison officials recovered a mobile phone in the possession of former Minister Rishad Bathiudeen on Wednesday when the officers noticed the latter was talking on the phone while they came near Bathiudeen’s cell.

The former minister threw the phone out of the cell window as he saw the jailors had noticed him using the phone.

However, the mobile phone was retrieved by the prison officers and handed it over to the intelligence unit for further investigations.

Posted in Uncategorized

China expands its activities to Sri Lanka’s north; India worried

Red flags are going up in India over China’s fresh attempts to expand its footprint in northern Sri Lanka in the garb of infrastructure projects, with Beijing even making efforts to woo the ethnic Tamil community there.

China, which has already made deep strategic inroads into Sri Lanka through its predatory debt policies, is now assiduously working towards establishing its presence on the island nation as close to the Indian coast as possible, say sources in the Indian security establishment.

“Proliferation of Chinese economic activity and proposed infrastructure development projects in the Northern province of Sri Lanka, which could be later exploited for strategic reasons, is certainly a matter of concern for India,” said a source.

Earlier, the Chinese projects were largely restricted to southern Sri Lanka. “But the Gotabaya Rajapaksa government is now facilitating several Chinese ventures in northern Sri Lanka as well, often ignoring sentiments of Tamil residents there. We are closely monitoring the developments,” he added.

India has already protested against Sri Lanka’s decision to award a $12 million hybrid wind and solar energy project to the Chinese Sinosar-Etechwin joint venture in three islets off the Jaffna Peninsula in February this year.

With the islets being barely 50 km from the Tamil Nadu coast, India has countered with an offer of a $12 million grant to Sri Lanka for execution of the projects.

“Another Chinese joint venture has been allotted land in a coastal village in northern Sri Lanka for farming sea cucumber fish despite protests by local farmers. Several such inroads in the region are being observed,” said another source.

India, of course, continues to be upset with Sri Lanka for going back on its tripartite pact to jointly develop the East Container Terminal at the Colombo Port along with Japan. Then there are also festering differences over the oil tanks farm project at Trincomalee.

But it has been smooth sailing for China in the island nation, from the 99-year lease of the Hambantota port to the new Colombo Port City Project. Apart from Sri Lanka, China has been systematically spreading its wings in the entire Indian Ocean Region (IOR) by forging maritime links with Seychelles,Mauritius, Maldives, Bangladesh, Myanmar and east African countries, among others.

Posted in Uncategorized

Talks on 2019 blasts require Sri Lankan gov’t credibility: Church

A Sri Lankan Roman Catholic leader has said the government must win back the confidence of the church before the two sides can hold talks on the church’s criticisms of inquiries into 2019 Easter Sunday bomb blasts that killed 269 people.

Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith made the comment in response to a letter from Foreign Minister Gamini Lakshman Peiris seeking a meeting, his spokesman, the Reverend Cyril Gamini Fernando, said on Wednesday.

Ranjith said the authorities must hold a transparent investigation and implement the recommendations of a presidential commission before any talks can begin, Fernando said.

“If the government begins a credible investigation and starts implementing the recommendations, their credibility will increase. It is only the government which is able to build that confidence,” Fernando said in a statement.

The foreign ministry on Wednesday said the Vatican’s ambassador to Sri Lanka, Archbishop Brian Udaigwe, had agreed in a meeting with Peiris to arrange talks with the bishops.

Six near-simultaneous suicide blasts at three churches and three tourist hotels on Easter Sunday, April 21, 2019, killed 269 people. A man left a fourth hotel without setting off his bomb but later killed himself by detonating his explosives at a different location.

Among those killed were worshippers at Easter services and tourists having breakfast at their hotels. Two local Muslim groups that had pledged allegiance to the ISIL (ISIS) group were blamed for the attacks.

Ranjith wrote to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa in July complaining that the government had not taken legal action against former President Maithripala Sirisena and several police and intelligence officials for alleged negligence as recommended by the commission.

The government said last month that it has filed 23,270 charges against 25 people in connection with the attacks, but it did not include Sirisena or others named by the commission.

A rift and communication breakdown between Sirisena and then Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe was said to be the reason why officials did not act on near-specific intelligence warnings ahead of the attacks. That led to the election of Rajapaksa as president later that year on a national security platform.

The church said it believes those prosecuted are “smaller fish” and that there is a bigger conspiracy beyond religious extremism.

Ranjith in his letter asked the authorities to investigate alleged links between state intelligence officials and the attackers. He cited speeches in parliament as alleging that members of state intelligence knew and met with the man who did not initially detonate his bomb.

He said the speeches also alleged that intelligence members had a suspect released by police and contacted an intermediary to persuade ISIL to claim responsibility for the bombings.

ISIL later claimed responsibility after a video was released showing the attackers dressed in black and pledging allegiance to the group.

Source:Aljazeera

Posted in Uncategorized

President to decide tomorrow on extending curfew

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will decide tomorrow (Friday) if to extend the quarantine curfew or not.

The decision will be taken when the Covid Task Force meets with the President for its regular meeting.

Government sources said that the President will review the current situation with regards to the spread of the Covid virus and decide if to extend the quarantine curfew or not.

The quarantine curfew is set to be lifted on Monday 6th September.

State Minister of Primary Health Care, Epidemics and COVID Disease Control, Dr. (Mrs.) Sudarshini Fernandopulle has already proposed extending the quarantine curfew by another 1-2 weeks.

The curfew was to be lifted last Monday but was later extended till 6th September.

However, Fernandopulle said her opinion is that extending it by another 1-2 weeks will help control the spread.

She said that there is no reduction in the number of people found to be infected with the virus.

Fernandopulle said that with the Delta variant spreading in the country, the number of people infected with the virus must be high.

Posted in Uncategorized

Parliament sittings limited to two days next week

The Committee on Parliamentary Business has decided that Parliament Sittings for next week will be limited to just two days, due to the Covid-19 situation in the country.

Accordingly, it has been decided to hold parliamentary sessions on September 06 and 07.

The decision was taken during the meeting of the Committee on Parliamentary Business chaired by the Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardhane today (02).

The Secretary General of Parliament Mr. Dhammika Dasanayake stated that the Proclamation of the emergency regulations by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on the 30th of August is scheduled to be approved, post taking it to debate on Monday, the 6th from 10.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. as decided by the Committee on Parliamentary Business.

The President enacted these emergency regulations for the provision of essential food items in accordance with the powers vested in him under Section 2 of the Public Security Ordinance.

It was also decided to conduct Parliamentary sittings for the next week only on the 06th and 07th of September taking into account the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Previously it was decided to allocate Monday, the 6th for Questions for Oral Answers which will now be set for a future date.

Parliament Sittings will be held on Tuesday the 7th at 10.00 a.m. Time has been allotted in taking up Questions for oral Answers from 10.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m.

Accordingly, from 11.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. an Order under the Essential Public Services Act No. 61 of 1979, Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka Bill, Finance Bill, Order under Excise (Special Provisions) Act, three Regulations under the Import and Export (Control) Act have also been scheduled to be taken up for debate.

Time has also been allotted from 4.30 p.m. to 4.50 p.m. for Questions at the Adjournment Time and the Motion at the Adjournment Time by the Government will be from 4.50 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.

Phone recovered from Bathiudeen’s cell

A mobile phone has been recovered from MP Rishad Bathiudeen’s cell at the Magazine Prison in Colombo, Prisons Spokesman Chandana Ekanayake stated today (02).

Court proceedings yesterday (01) resulted in the Fort Magistrate ordering for MP Rishad Bathiudeen to be further remanded till 07 September.

He was arrested in April for allegedly aiding and abetting the suicide bombers who perpetrated the deadly terror attacks on April 21, 2019.

Sri Lanka reports 204 Covid-19 deaths on Thursday, toll rises to 9,604

Sri Lanka Thursday reported that 204 deaths due to COVID-19 confirmed for Wednesday, September 01, 2021.

The Director General of Health Services has confirmed 204 deaths due to the COVID-19 for Wednesday, September 01.

Among the Wednesday’s deaths, 109 are of males and 95 of females. The majority of the deaths numbering 149 are of elderly people in the 60 years and above age group. Three males and two females below 30 years of age also succumbed to the disease.

According to the data reported by the Government Information Department, the total deaths due to Covid-19 since the pandemic began has now risen to 9,604 including Thursday’s reported deaths.

Posted in Uncategorized