SLPP wants Provincial Council elections to be postponed

The district leaders of the SLPP have urged Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa not to hold the Provincial Council election, citing the prevailing situation in the country.

It is reported that SLPP district leaders have submitted a proposal to postpone the Provincial Council elections at a meeting presided over by premier Rajapaksa on May 04.

Political sources say the SLPP leaders are of the view that the amending of the provincial council act and as well as the demarcation of electors should be completed before the elections.

However, the media has reported that the leaders of other political parties of the government did not attend the particular meeting. Amongst the leaders who boycotted the meeting were Wimal Weerawansa, Udaya Gammanpila, Vasudeva Nanayakkaara, Tissa Vitharana, Dr. G. Weerasinghe, A.L.A.M. Athaullah, Tiran Alles, Asanka Nawarathna and Ven. Athuraliye Rathana thera.

Speaker receives SC’s determination on Port City Economic Commission Bill

The Supreme Court’s determination with regard to the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill will be presented to the House on the 18th of May, the Department of Communications of the Parliament said.

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena has received the Supreme Court’s determination on Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill on Wednesday evening (May 05).

The Committee on Parliamentary Business on Tuesday (May 04) decided not to proceed with the parliamentary debate on the relevant draft billscheduled for Wednesday, as the Supreme Court’s determination was yet to be received by the Parliament.

On April 23, the Supreme Court concluded the consideration of petitions challenging the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill.

The petitions were taken up before a five-member bench consisting of Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, and Supreme Court Judges Buwaneka Aluvihare, Priyantha Jayawardena, Murdu Fernando, and Janak de Silva.

11 more die of COVID-19: Death toll climbs to 720

Eleven more COVID-19 related deaths were reported today bringing the death toll in Sri Lanka to 720, the Health Ministry said.

With 680 new COVID-19 positive cases reported in Sri Lanka today (May 05), the daily total so far has increased to 1,939.

According to the Government Information Department, 1,897 of the new cases reported today are associated with the New Year coronavirus cluster. Meanwhile, the remaining 42 have been identified as arrivals from foreign countries.

This brings the total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus reported in the country to 117,529.

As many as 100,075 recoveries and 720 deaths have been confirmed in Sri Lanka since the outbreak of the pandemic.

Epidemiology Unit’s data showed that 16,734 active cases are currently under medical care.

Posted in Uncategorized

Parliament Select Committee appointed to identify appropriate election law reforms

Parliamentarians to serve in the Select Committee to identify appropriate reforms of election laws and the electoral system and to recommend necessary amendments were announced today (May 05).

The names of the Select Committee members were announced in Parliament by Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.

Accordingly, 14 lawmakers have been appointed to the Select Committee chaired by Minister Dinesh Gunawardena.

Ministers Nimal Siripala de Silva, Prof. G.L. Peiris, Pavithradevi Wanniarachchi, Douglas Devananda, Hon. Wimal Weerawansa and Minister Ali Sabry, State Minister Jeevan Thondaman, MPs Anura Dissanayake, Kabir Hashim, Ranjith Madduma Bandara, Mano Ganesan, M.A. Sumanthiran, Madhura Withanage and Sagara Kariyawasam were announced as the members of the said Select Committee.

Posted in Uncategorized

SJB MP raises questions about COVID Fund

SJP MP S.M. Marikkar said yesterday that neither Parliament nor the public have been informed of how the money from the COVID-19 Fund has been utilised.

“More than Rs. 1,000 million was collected to the COVID-19 fund from what we have seen in the media but neither Parliament nor the public have been informed of how the funds were utilised. Was the money used to buy vaccines or medicines or set up hospitals for COVID-19 patients?” the SJB MP queried during an adjournment debate on the COVID-19 situation in the country.

Marikkar said from the onset of the pandemic, the Government was driven by political expediency and did not take a prudent approach to tackle the pandemic situation and hence the country is facing a dire situation now.

“There aren’t sufficient stocks of the AstraZeneca vaccine to give those who got the first dose. Now attempts are underway to give another vaccine as the second dose and this could endanger lives,” he said.

Marikkar said that Israel, a country the size of Sri Lanka, has carried out a mass vaccination program and overcome the pandemic. “We have failed to adopt a similar approach by getting the necessary vaccination. All this shows that Sri Lanka has failed in this too,” he said.

“Today they Government is cash rapped and has no money. The Government is trying to stop fertiliser imports as it does not have money, not because of the interest in promoting organic farming. This is a good concept but not one that cannot be done overnight,” he added.

He urged the Government to listen to medical professionals and take decisions without taking political interests first.

(ft.lk)

Posted in Uncategorized

PM decides to give another chance to rebel leaders’ group

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa has decided to give another chance to the rebel group led by Minister Wimal Weerawansa who boycotted the government’s party leaders’ meeting for the second time.

Accordingly, the premier has decided to hold another party leaders’ meeting on May 11.

Leaders of several political parties affiliated to the government did not attend the meeting, alleging that outsiders too have been invited for the meeting.

It is learnt that party leaders such as Vasudeva Nanayakkara, Udaya Gammanpila, Tissa Vitharana, Dr. G. Weerasinghe, Wimal Weerawansa, A.L.A.M. Athaullah, Tiran Alles, Asanka Nawaratna and Ven. Athuraliye Rathana thera did not the two meetings called by Rajapaksa.

The meeting which was held on Tuesday is said to have been summoned to resolve issues concerning the provincial council election system.

HOwever, the party leaders boycotted the meeting, citing that a large number of SLPP members had been invited for the meeting.

The rebel leaders visited the Temple Trees on Monday and informed the premier that they would not attend the meeting which was held on Tuesday.

Vice president of the Communist Party and MP Weerasumana Weerasinghe told the media that they met prime minister Rajapaksa and informed him that they would not attend the meeting as a large number of SLPP members had been invited to the meeting.

Posted in Uncategorized

MP Rishad Bathiudeen’s Wife Writes Letter To President Against “Arbitrary Arrest” Of Her Husband

MP Rishad Bathiudeen’s wife Ayesha Rishad has written a letter to President Gotabhaya Rajapaksa against what she termed as the “arbitrary arrest” of her husband.

Bathiudeen was recently arrested by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) and is currently being questioned on a 90-day Detention Order.

The full letter written by Bathiudeen’s wife is as follows

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka to bring forward GCE O/Level, A/Level exams to allow early university entrance

Sri Lanka will bring forward the GCE Ordinary Level and Advanced Level exams to allow school students an early university entry, a top minister said.

School students in Sri Lanka generally sit for GCE O/Ls and A/Ls at the ages 16 and 19 respectively.

Co-cabinet spokesman Minister Keheliya Rambukwella told reporters today that the cabinet of ministers has approved a proposal to bring forward the O/L exam by four months from December to August and A/Ls by nine months from August to December in the preceding calendar year. The shift is expected to save students 13 months, he said.

“Our analyses have shown that in developed countries, students enter university at the age of 16 or 17, but in Sri Lanka, due to various reasons, students don’t enter university until they’re 19 or 20,” said Rambukwella.

Meanwhile, the cabinet has also decided to restructure the syllabi of Grades 10 and 11 in order to cover the GCE O/L curriculum in one year and nine months, a statement from the Government Information Department said.

Students will be selected for university entrance based on their A/L Z-score without before re-correction of exam papers is completed.

“If there are students whose results can be upgraded across the re-correction process, they should be awarded new marginal Z-scores so that they would be able to undergo the relevant degree courses and apply this methodology with effect from 2020 Advanced Level,” the statement said.

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka face covering ban seen as blow for Muslim women

The proposed face covering ban in Sri Lanka is seen as the latest blow for Muslim women in the country.

Human Rights Watch, South Asia Director Meenakshi Ganguly said that the Muslims in Sri Lanka already faced a growing list of discriminatory Government policies before the Cabinet approved plans on April 27 to ban women’s face coverings.

She said that if approved by Parliament, the measure will outlaw garments worn by some Muslim women such as the niqab or burqa, increasing their social marginalization.

“After a similar ban was temporarily imposed following the Easter Sunday bombings in 2019, the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka documented numerous cases of Muslim women, including those legally wearing a hijab – a head covering that does not cover the face – being abused in public and denied access to public buildings such as schools, hospitals, and universities,” Ganguly said.

She said the latest ban was proposed by the Public Security Minister, Adm. (rtd.) Sarath Weerasekara, who called face veils “a sign of religious extremism” and who claims the ban is justified on “national security” grounds. However, he has said “there will be no prohibition to wear face masks to prevent the Covid-19 virus.”

“This is only the Government of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s latest assault on religious freedom. For almost a year, until February, the Government banned the burial of people who had died with Covid-19, falsely claiming this was necessary for public health. In effect, the ban prevented Muslims from performing funeral rites, causing intense distress to families,” she said.

Ganguly said that on March 9, new regulations relating to the draconian Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) gave officials the power to confine anyone for up to two years for “rehabilitation” on vaguely defined grounds of causing “religious, racial, or communal disharmony.”

She said the Rajapaksa administration has repeatedly used the PTA to target minorities, especially Muslims and Tamils, while taking no action against those inciting violence and discrimination against these groups.

Human Rights Watch has long opposed bans on Islamic face coverings because there is no evidence that the face coverings pose any kind of threat that would justify this restriction on freedom of religion.

“We also oppose policies forcing women and girls to wear religious garments as a violation of religious freedom and privacy rights under international law,” Ganguly said.

Ganguly said Parliament should reject this senseless and divisive ban on face coverings, and the Government should stop looking for excuses to abuse Sri Lanka’s marginalized minorities.

Prioritise COVID treatment instead of purchasing choppers:Sajith

Leader of the Opposition Sajith Premadasa today urged the government to get its priorities correct and halt the order placed for the purchase of new helicopters from Russia.

Speaking during the adjournment debate in Parliament, he said that the government should not waste funds on purchasing new helicopters at a time when a new wave of COVID 19 had hit the nation.

“We have also heard that the Cabinet had approved a proposal to spend more than Rs 600 million to set up gymnasiums across the nation. This is not the time to implement such a project. We accept that country’s security is important but the country is in need of more ICU beds and other medical equipment,” Mr. Premadasa said.

“Dengue fever too is spreading including COVID- 19, though no one is speaking about it. There are also a number of non -committal diseases in Sri Lanka. The issue is that there are no ICU beds for these patients as more beds are needed for COVID-19 which is spreading rapidly. The solution for this situation is to get more ICU beds. I have already spoken to foreign diplomatic heads in Sri Lanka and will meet more diplomatic heads in the future and request for assistance,” he added.

Mr.Premadasa also requested the government not to use COVID vaccines which are not recognised by WHO and other bodies.