NO parties, events, night club activities after 10:00 PM from today (01): Army Commander

A decision has been reached to PROHIBIT public gatherings, parties, other events, and night club activities after 10:00 PM with effect from Saturday (May 01) for a period of two weeks, the Army Commander General Shavendra Silva told News 1st.

“The night club activities after 10:00 PM is prohibited with immediate effect and we have already taken a decision to prohibit any activities after 10:00 pm even at hotels,” Army Commander General Shavendra Silva, the Head of the National Operations Centre on Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOCPCO) told News 1st on Saturday morning (May 01).

General Shavendra Silva further stressed, “We request the owners of the hotels and the management and the clubs to cooperate with this measure for a period of two weeks, taking into account the prevailing COVID-19 situation in the country at present,’

Moreover, shop owners have been requested to ensure that social distances are maintained within the premises of the shop when people visit to purchase essential goods

“Shop owners are instructed to allow only a specific number of people that can be accommodated inside the premises at one given time in order to ensure social distances are maintained,” the Army Commander further emphasized.

Posted in Uncategorized

Close daycare centres, pre-schools, schools, universities until further notice: Health Ministry

The Health Ministry has advised closing all daycare centres, pre-schools, schools and higher education centres including the universities until further notice.

Meanwhile, wedding functions will not be permitted to held until May 20. This will be reviewed after that particular period based on the prevailing COVID-19 situation in the country. This will come to effect from May 4, the Ministry said.

The instructions were issued due to the recent increase in the number of COVID-19 cases being reported in the country.

The Ministry of Health has further revised the permitted functions under alert level III.

The Ministry advised implementing the guideline with immediate effect and until further notice.

This guideline is supported by the previous guidelines and circulars issued by the Ministry of Health on relaxation of public activities in response to COVID 19, which include operational details, the Ministry said in the revised guideline.

Posted in Uncategorized

Several more areas in Colombo, Galle, Ampara, Ratnapura districts isolated

General Shavendra Silva, Commander of the Army, Head of the National Operations Center for Prevention of Covid 19 Outbreak (NOCPCO), announced that following Grama Niladhari Divisions in Colombo, Galle, Ampara, Ratnapura districts are isolated from today (May 01) 8:30 am.

Accordingly, following areas are isolated

Colombo District

Piliyandala Police area
• Nampamunuwa Grama Niladhari Division
• Gorakapitiya Grama Niladhari Division

Galle District

Ambalangoda Police area
• Godahena Grama Niladhari Division
• Thalgasgoda Grama Niladhari Division

Ampara District

Dehiattakandiya Police area
• Dehiattakandiya Grama Niladhari Division
• Kadirapura Grama Niladhari Division

Ratnapura District

Kalawana Police area
• Hapugoda Grama Niladhari Division

Sri Lanka declares worst economic downturn in 73 years -AFP

Sri Lanka announced Friday that its economy shrank 3.6 percent last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, making it the worst downturn since independence from Britain in 1948.

The unprecedented recession compared with a 2.3 percent GDP growth in 2019, the Central Bank of Sri Lanka said in its annual report for 2020.

It hoped the economy would rebound in 2021 and record an optimistic six percent growth on the back of improved local manufacturing and services.

“The pandemic has also offered an opportunity to reset the economy’s focus and to address longstanding structural weaknesses and establish a production-based, productivity-driven economy,” the bank said.

The pandemic hit the island’s lucrative tourism sector while sharp contractions were seen in construction, manufacturing as well as in services, the bank said.

It said the central government’s debt also rose to 101 percent of GDP last year, up from 86.8 percent of GDP in the previous year, underscoring the debt crisis faced by the South Asian nation.

International rating agencies have expressed fears for Sri Lanka’s ability to service its huge foreign debt as the country’s foreign reserves fell sharply in the past year.

The island’s economy was trying to recover from the effects of the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings that killed 279 people when the pandemic hit in early 2020.

Two weeks ago, Sri Lanka secured a $500 million loan from China to shore up its foreign exchange reserves as the local currency came under intense pressure and fell to a record low.

Chinese influence in the South Asian nation has been growing in recent years through loans and projects under its vast Belt and Road infrastructure initiative, raising concerns among regional powers and Western nations.

Between 2005 and 2015, Colombo borrowed billions from China, accumulating a mountain of debt for expensive infrastructure projects.

Sri Lanka was forced to hand over its strategic Hambantota port on a 99-year lease to a Chinese company in 2017 after it was unable to service the $1.4 billion debt from Beijing used to build it.

Investigations launched into Bathiudeen’s Kerala connections

The Intelligence Bureau in India and Kerala Police have launched an investigation into the links between Parliamentarian Rishad Bathiudeen and Kerala after he was arrested by Sri Lankan Police in connection with the April 2019 Easter Sunday attacks, the New Indian Express reported.

While the specifics of the links which Bathiudeen had in Kerala are yet to be revealed, the agencies will be looking into the inputs on his visit to Kasaragod in 2009 and also his acquaintance with a few religious leaders in Kerala, who had met him in Sri Lanka and also when he toured India especially Chennai when he was Sri Lanka’s Minister for Industry and Commerce in 2013.

As per intelligence officials, Rishad’s father hailed from Padna in Kasaragod and he was in touch with a few persons in the region.

The Intelligence Bureau and National Investigation Agency (NIA) are coordinating with the Sri Lankan Government in the probe and the NIA had busted an IS module in Tamil Nadu by arresting a person in June 2019 for being in touch with Zahran Hashim and his accomplices over social media.

Hashmi is one of the suicide bombers who executed the Easter Day bombings in the island nation. “Kerala police will be looking into the links of arrested Sri Lankan political leader in Kerala to confirm the reports,” said Kerala State Police Chief Loknath Behera.

Bathiudeen was arrested under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA). His brother Riyaaj Bathiudeen, who was arrested in April 2020 but released later due to lack of evidence, was also arrested again.

According to intelligence officers, the Kasaragod connection of Bathiudeen will be explored in detail as an earlier probe into the missing of five young Muslim families from Padna, who left for Syria in 2016 to join IS, had revealed that a few in the group had been to National Thowheed Jamaath in Sri Lanka where they underwent religious training before proceeding to Syria.

Posted in Uncategorized

Port City Economic Commission Bill to be debated on May 5

Leaders of political parties representing Parliament today decided to take up the debate on Port City Economic Commission Bill on Wednesday (May 5), Sergeant at Arms Narendra Fernando said today.

Mr. Fernando told Daily Mirror that the debate will take place from 10am to 5.30pm.

It was also decided to take up an adjournment debate on the current pandemic situation in the country on Tuesday (May 4)

The party leaders have also decided to hold sessions for only two days during the next parliamentary week.” There will not be any oral questions during these two days,” Mr. Fernando said

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka police arrest alleged instigator of honk protest during China VIP visit

Sri Lanka police arrested a 31-year-old motorist this morning alleged to have instigated a honking protest at the Borella junction on April 27 when visiting Chinese defence minister General Wei Fenghe’s motorcade was passing through.

Widely circulated video footage showed seemingly frustrated motorists honking incessantly as they were forced to wait for the motorcade to pass.

Police spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said the individual charged with organising the protest had posted a video online where he is heard to be encouraging fellow motorists to honk and express their displeasure over the temporary road closure.

Rohana said in a statement the suspect is a resident in Battaramulla who had been in Australia for 10 years.

The police spokesman further said that, according to the Vienna Convention, a host country is responsible for providing security and other facilities required for a visiting foreign dignitary.

The road was closed that night since Sri Lankan government has a responsibility to provide security to the defence minister of a powerful country like China, he said.

The suspect will be producedin the Colombo Magistrate Court today and Borella police will conduct further investigations, he added.

Parliament to meet for only 2 days next week

Parliament sessions have been limited next week to only two days because of the third wave of the coronavirus.

Seargent-at-Arms Narendra Fernando told Colombo Gazette that Parliament sittings will be held on Tuesday (04) and Wednesday (05).

He said the current coronavirus situation in the country will be discussed on Tuesday.

The discussion will be held from 10am to 05pm with no oral questions during the session.

Narendra Fernando said the Port City Economic Commission Bill will be taken up for debate on Wednesday.

The debate will be held from 10am to 08pm, with no oral questions during the debate.

He further said the decision on the Parliament sittings and the agenda for the day has been decided during the Party Leaders meeting held today.

Meanwhile, the Opposition has claimed that the Government has disregarded Opposition requests and has decided that the debate on the Port City Economic Commission Bill will be limited to one day.

All events including weddings banned for two weeks: Army Chief

All events including weddings will be disallowed for two weeks starting from next Monday (May 03), says the Commander of Sri Lanka Army General Shavendra Silva.

The move comes as Sri Lanka is battling the third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic that has led to spiraling numbers of infections.

Posted in Uncategorized

Tamils in Australia condemn Border Force’s gifting of surveillance drones to Sri Lankan authorities

Members of the Tamil community in Australia have condemned the federal government’s gifting of drones to Sri Lankan police, amid fears they could be used negatively against the country’s ethnic minority.

Earlier this month, the Australian Border Force announced it had given Sri Lankan police five surveillance drones for use in “a wide range of activities” including natural disaster scene assessment and recovery, transnational crime investigation and countering maritime people smuggling.

The move has raised eyebrows and alarm, including from the Tamil Refugee Council, which fears the drones might be used to help prevent Tamils from fleeing Sri Lanka and to monitor political activists.

“[Sri Lankan police] have been targeting Tamils, human rights activists, Muslim communities, and when the Australian government supplies them with security equipment, all it means is putting these peoples’ lives at risk,” spokesperson Aran Mylvaganam said.

Tamil asylum seeker Maravan* has also been concerned by the move. The now-41-year-old said he was arrested and tortured by Sri Lankan government forces for his political activism.

“I totally feel I lost my life there, because at the time I felt they were shooting many Tamils,” he said.

He fled to Malaysia in 2007 and then looked to come to Australia by boat in 2013, looking for protection. His case is still going through the courts.

Since fleeing the country, he said, Sri Lanka’s military has been visiting his family wanting to know of his whereabouts.

The five drones are not the first gifts Australia has sent Sri Lanka with an aim of stopping maritime immigration.

In 2013 the Abbott government donated two patrol boats to the country in a bid to end people smuggling – a move that was criticised at the time by human rights advocates.

More than a decade after the end of the civil war between government forces and Tamil separatists, observers say the country’s rule of law and human rights situation remains a matter of grave concern – particularly since the 2019 election of Gotabaya Rajapaksa and his Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna party.

“The fact remains that the same government that was in power during the civil war and at the end of the civil war, when a large number of atrocities and disappearances happened, is now back in power,” human rights lawyer Alison Battison said.

Meenakshi Ganguly, the South Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said concerning trends seemed to be surfacing.

“We have seen increased surveillance in northern areas, which are Tamil majority areas, and seen a lot of activists and victim’s families start complaining about visits from security agents, threats and intimidation.”

Damien Kingsbury, an international politics professor from Deakin University, said Australia should be using its friendship with Sri Lanka to push it toward ending the oppression of minority groups in the country for good.

“The Australian government really ought to look at the reasons why people want to leave countries like Sri Lanka and try to address the problems at the root, rather than to bottle them up and continue to support governments which repress their own people,” he said.

In a statement, a Department of Home Affairs spokesperson said Australia works “collaboratively with international partners, including the Sri Lankan police, to tackle transnational crimes, including people smuggling”.

“Sri Lanka is a valuable partner in preventing and responding to maritime people smuggling,” the statement said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs’ 2019 country report on Sri Lanka said “the risk of torture perpetrated by either military, intelligence or police forces has decreased since the end of the civil conflict and is no longer state-sponsored”.

Sri Lanka’s prime minister’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

*not his real name.

Source:sbs.com.au