FTZMA urges govt. to take a proactive approach in resolving GSP Plus issue

The Free Trade Zone Manufacturers Association (FTZMA) yesterday in a statement stressed the need for an urgent and short-term strategy to protect Sri Lanka’s market share in the EU, in a proactive manner.

Acknowledging that the withdrawal of GSP Plus would have serious and negative consequences on the country’s export industry, the FTZMA said it is imperative for the government to take a proactive approach in resolving the hurdle without “speculating upon reactive measures on what next comes from the EU”.

“The economy of our country is majorly driven by the SMEs but due to the pandemic, those enterprises are already being hit badly.

The GSP withdrawal will throw them out of the frying pan into the fire, as not only textile but about 7500 tariff lines, which cover almost all the industrial exports from Sri Lanka to Europe, will suffer in case if Plus is withdrawn and therefore unlike previously, with the cascading effects of the pandemic, it will cause a catastrophic impact to our economy,” the FTZMA statement noted.

To help the government secure the concession, the FTZMA said it would contribute to the efforts by: monitoring the extent to which the member associations fulfil treaty obligations, advocating for improvement and acting as a partner to communicate the views of the Sri Lankan public.

The FTZMA said that by assisting the government to achieve the scheme’s conditions, it would continue to uphold labour and human rights and safeguard the workforce of the members from the negative impacts of the pandemic.
Furthermore, the association reiterated that the impact of losing the EU GSP Plus this time around is expected to be immense since the COVID-19 pandemic has had a debilitating impact on the economy, resulting in weakening Sri Lanka’s balance of payment (BoP) and increasing the unemployment rate.

It shared that unlike standard bilateral trade deals, GSP Plus has a nonreciprocal nature towards the beneficiary exporting country.

The FTZMA added that the concession enabled the Sri Lankan exporters to have a competitive advantage over the none GSP Plus nations, thus has led to the creation of thousands of additional job opportunities for locals, thereby elevating their incomes and lifestyles.

Two state-owned banks at risk as fuel crisis looms

The Government has decided to obtain a loan of USD 1 billion from international private lending agencies to set off interest payments for loans obtained from two state banks to purchase fuel, the Sunday Times reported.

Accordingly, the funds would be used to pay part of the interest owed by the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) to the People’s Bank and the Bank of Ceylon.

“The Energy Ministry had initially held talks with the State Bank of Japan and the State Bank of China to obtain this USD 1 billion loan at an interest rate lower than 3 per cent but the talks were unsuccessful largely because of the economic crisis Sri Lanka was facing,” the Sunday Times reported.

Rs. 652 billion owed to state banks

In addition to spending foreign exchange, the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation has been a loss-making institution, relying on loans obtained from the Bank of Ceylon and the People’s Bank annually while the amount to be paid to the two banks as loans is Rs. 652 billion, the President’s Media Division (PMD) said.

The PMD made this observation in a special press release issued on 13 June justifying the Government’s decision to increase fuel prices.

Posted in Uncategorized

India, Sri Lanka hold 5th high-level meeting of coast guards

India and Sri Lanka will seek to expand training opportunities between the coast guards of both countries, Daily FT learns.

The decision was taken at the 5th annual high-level meeting between the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) and Sri Lanka Coast Guard (SLCG), held virtually on Tuesday (22), under the provisions of the bilateral MoU signed between both agencies.

The meeting was co-chaired by the Director General ICG Krishnaswamy Natarajan and Director General SLCG Rear Admiral Anura Ekanayake. Each delegation had representatives from their respective ministries of foreign affairs.

The 5th iteration of the meeting was to be held last year but was postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

“Both coast guards assured strengthening of the operational level interaction for search and rescue, preservation and protection of the marine environment, information sharing to deter narcotics trafficking by sea, continuous professional engagement for experience sharing, and revalidated the established operational and communication procedures between the two coast guards,” the SLCG said in a statement.

The call for assistance from the ICG to battle the blaze onboard the now wrecked MV X-Press Pearl container vessel was made under the provisions of the MoU between both coast guards. The MoU was entered into in 2018.

The arrival of ICGs purpose-built pollution control vessels during the MV New Diamond tanker fire and the Singaporean flagged MV X-Press Pearl incident provided respondents a significant boost in firefighting and oil spill containment capability on-site.

The SLCG has limited oil spill response capability in the form of two Fast Patrol Vessels (FPV) – SLCGS Samudra Raksha (CG 501) and SLCGS Samaraksha (CG 502) – which were commissioned in 2018. The vessels were built in Japan through a grant extended by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). They are equipped with flotation booms and a skimmer system that can contain and skim small oil spills at sea. The FPVs can also spray chemical oil dispersants which break the oil up into small droplets, increasing the likelihood of it biodegrading.

The high volume of commercial shipping that travels around Sri Lanka, which includes a large number of tankers carrying petroleum and chemical products through the country’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and several sea pollution incidents since 2000, had prompted the SLCG to highlight the need for capacity building. SLCG had requested the Government provide the agency with two purpose-built pollution control vessels (PCVs) with better firefighting capability last year, a senior defence official told the Daily FT on the condition of anonymity.

“However, they were told there is a lack of funding for such vessels and the SLCG resubmitted the request seeking only one vessel this year,” the defence official added, pointing out that Sri Lanka sits at a midway point between the maritime hubs of the Middle East and Singapore.

“Regional support is vital; Sri Lanka, India and Maldives work closely on these matters. However, we (Sri Lanka) need to build capacity and capabilities to respond to maritime emergencies and pollution in the seas around us. When it comes to pollution control, Sri Lanka doesn’t have the luxury of waiting for assistance to arrive to contain the spread. We need better monitoring and coordinating and response capability, both naval and aviation.”

Posted in Uncategorized

Presidential pardon granted to 93 prisoners including 16 ex-LTTE cadres in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka released 93 prisoners including 16 ex-Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam (LTTE) combatants on a presidential pardon issued marking the Poson full moon poya day on June 24.

The 16 ex-combatants who were detained under provisions in the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA and 77 others who had been imprisoned for minor offences were thus released, Media Spokesman for the Department Chandana Ekanayake said in a statement.

Speaking in parliament on June 22, Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa had requested Justice Minister Ali Sabry to do justice by the ex Tigers languishing in jail for many years either by rehabilitating them or by presenting their cases to the Attorney General.

Rajapaksa said there are about 38 cases involving ex LTTE cadres whose cases are still being heard for over 20 years while still being held in remand custody.

The MP said 13 ex LTTE cadres are detained without any charges while 35 who are facing imprisonment upon final court verdict have also been in remand custody for many years before their final verdict.

Meanwhle, former MP Duminda Silva who was sentenced to death over the murder of former MP Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra is not among those released today, Ekanayake added.

Silva’s release from prison has been long speculated, though no such move has yet been initiated since the change of government in 2019.

Posted in Uncategorized

Former MP Duminda Silva serving a death sentence released under a special presidential pardon

Duminda Silva, who is currently imprisoned under a death sentence, has been granted a Special Presidential Pardon, Prisons Media Spokesman informs.

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa today (June 24) granted presidential pardon to 93 prison inmates to mark the Poson Full Moon Poya day.

Media Spokesperson of Department of Prison Chandana Ekanayake said that former MP Duminda Silva was also among them.

Former parliamentarian Duminda Silva was jailed in September 2016 after the Colombo High Court found him and several others guilty in the murder of former MP Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra.

Posted in Uncategorized

Coronavirus death toll up by 65 fatalities toll exceed 2769

The Director General of Health Services has confirmed 65 more COVID-19 related fatalities that have occurred yesterday (June 21).

The new development has pushed the official death toll due to the virus in Sri Lanka to 2769.

According to the data released by the Department of Government Information, the new victims confirmed today include 25 females and 40 males.

Two of them is aged below 30 years, ten victims are between 30-59 years and the remaining 53 are aged 60 and above.

Posted in Uncategorized

11 GN Divisions in Trincomalee and Batticaloa districts isolated with immediate effect

General Shavendra Silva, Commander of the Army, Head of the National Operations Center for Prevention of Covid 19 Outbreak, announced that following 11 Grama Niladhari (GN) Divisions in Trincomalee and Batticaloa Districts have been designated as isolated areas effective from 6:00 am today (June 23).

Trincomalee District

Trincomalee Police Division
• Nagaraja Walawwa Place

Batticaloa District

Valaichchenai Police Division
• 1st Cross Road, Brainthuraichenai206 C
• 2nd Cross Road, Bryanturaichenai 206 C
Kattankudy Police Division
• Kattankudy Division 4 164
• Kattankudy Division 5 South 164 A
• Kattankudy Section 5 South 164 B
• New Kattankudy Division east 161 B
• New Kattankudy Division 6 west 162 B
• New Kattankudy Division North 167 A
• New Kattankudy Division south 167 C
• Area of Karabala Road, ALS Mawatha, Nooraniya Cemetery Road and Beach Road 167 B

Posted in Uncategorized

President to pardon 17 ex-LTTE members on Poson Poya

The sentences of 216 prisoners, who have been sentenced to death for more than 20 years, will be commuted to life imprisonment, on the instructions of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, State Minister of Prisons Management and Prisoners’ Rehabilitation Lohan Ratwatte told Ceylon Today.

In addition, 17 prisoners who have been imprisoned for many years are due to be granted a Presidential pardon in view of Poson Poya, as well, State Minister Lohan Ratwatte said. He further said since the said prisoners had worked for the LTTE, they had been serving prison sentences for many years.

The State Minister also said these prisoners have served more time than the punishment due to them because of the allegations that targeted them. Ratwatte said attention will be focused on this fact and arrangements will be made to release them under a Presidential pardon following legal advice.

‘Ex-LTTE cadres without cases must be served justice’

Minister Namal Rajapaksa says the government must intervene and provide justice to suspected LTTE cadres currently imprisoned for a long period of time without any charges being filed.

Speaking in Parliament today, the Minister requested the Justice Minister to create a suitable procedure.

Minister Rajapaksa claimed the period where some suspects have been in prison are as older as he is.

The Minister said either cases should be called upon or suspects must be rehabilitated adding the Attorney General’s guidance should be sought as Courts are not able to issue bail orders due to the severity of the charges filed.

The Minister cited an example of an individual who was convicted of a high-profile assassination and claimed the individual was merely involved in cutting a branch of a tree while the main suspect had already been released.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka also agreed with the statement made by Minister Rajapaksa.

The Field Marshal provided an example of when he was jailed on the 30th of September 2010.

MP Fonseka said an individual in a prison bus commented saying, “the Commander of the Army who ended the war is arriving in prison, while we, the ones who fought the war are leaving prison.”

The Parliamentarian provided another example, where he met the individual charged with handling the suicide bomber who attacked him and claimed the individual is still remanded without the case being called.

Field Marshal Fonseka said he believes the suspects must now be released adding the 15 years of time served is punishment enough.

He said the opposition will support this decision.

Chinese Military involved in Joint Venture to clean irrigation tanks ?

The presence of uniformed individuals at the launch of a Chinese Joint Venture (JV) to dredge and clean some of Sri Lanka’s most ancient irrigation tanks on Monday (21) has raised serious concern.

These uniforms are very much similar to those worn by soldiers in China’s People’s Liberation Army.

Attempts made to adopt the MCC or Millennium Challenge Corporation agreement, which would permit US military boots on Sri Lankan soil, were shot down due to serious public outcry over the recent years.

However, over in the south of Sri Lanka, uniformed foreigners are seen roaming at a civil operation which is to dredge and clean the ‘Tissamaharama Wewa’, said to have been constructed in the 3rd Century BC by a Sri Lankan King.

In an extremely strange agreement, the company is not charging the government for the extensive ‘clean-up’ work that includes the installation of specialized machinery but will instead pay for the dredged sediment which it will, in turn, sell.

However, what is a serious matter of concern at the moment is the presence of camouflage-clad individuals at a Sri Lankan development project.

What is happening under the Chinese Joint Venture (JV) to dredge and clean some of Sri Lanka’s most ancient irrigation tanks?

Posted in Uncategorized