Tamil MPs upbeat after discussion with Minister Rajapksa

Tamil MPs were convinced that a positive outcome could be achieved over instances where Mahaweli Authority officials were taking over private lands belonging to the Northern residents, ITAK Kilinochchi District MP S. Sritharan said yesterday after a meeting with Minister of Irrigation Chamal Rajapaksa.

The MP said that the meeting with Minister Rajapaksa on Wednesday had been extremely fruitful and his attitude was commendable.

“We informed him of the actions of Mahaweli Authority officials and he immediately stopped it. He also ordered an investigation into the allegations. These are commendable actions and we are extremely pleased with the way it was handled,” MP Sritharan said.

The TNA said that the Minister had also responded positively to the request for making the Northern Kalmunai sub-divisional secretariat, a fully-fledged secretariat. The residents in Kalmunai had staged continuous protests over that issue, the MP said. Some 29 Grama Servaga Divisions come under the Northern Kalmunai sub-divisional secretariats. “Many sub-divisional secretariats have been converted to divisional secretariat but for some reason Kalmunai sub-divisional secretariat has been left out.”

TELO MP’S Leader Selvam Adaikalanathan,Govinthan Karunakaran and Vinoharathalingam,ITAK MP’s M.A. Sumanthiran, S. Sritharan and Charles Nirmalanathan, Tamil National People’s Front’s Leader Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam and Selvarajah Kajendran, Thamil Makkal Thesiya Kuttani’s Leader C.V. Wigneswaran met Minister Rajapaksa.

President talks to WHO Chief. Says it was useful

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa said in a tweet that he had useful Zoom discussion with Head of the World Health Organisation, DrTedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

At the meeting it transpired that approval would be given in another 2-3 days for Sinopharm to be used for emergency use. With that approval, we will be able to start vaccinating our people with the current stock of 600,000 Sinopharm doses in hand.

While commending our control of the pandemic during the first wave, he was hopeful that the current surge would be soon brought under control. I registered my appreciation of the support the WHO has been providing at regional and Colombo office level.

The President further said. “I believe WHO will make an effort to fulfil the need for 600,000 doses of AstraZeneca needed for the 2nd dose of vaccination for those who have already been vaccinated.

Globally, there is a need for 20 million doses of the AstraZeneca for the 2nd dose”.

Posted in Uncategorized

Schools, pre-schools, tuition classes, universities will remain closed: Minister

All schools, pre-schools, universities and tuition classes will remain closed until further notice, Minister of Education Prof. G.L. Peiris announced today (May 07).

The decision was jointly taken by the education and health authorities, after taking into account the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic situation in the country exacerbated by a third wave.

On April 27, an announcement from the Education Minister stated that all schools across the country will be closed until the April 30 due to the recent upsurge in COVID-19 figures.

However, reopening of schools was then postponed until today as the country has been seeing a consecutive increase in virus infections following the Sinhala and Tamil New Year last month.

Daily coronavirus cases reported in Sri Lanka have been staying above 1,000 since the 27th of April.

Sri Lanka has registered as many as 119,424 infections since the pandemic’s outbreak last year. According to official data, more than 17,700 active cases are under medical care at present.

Posted in Uncategorized

Attorney General Turns Down Diplomatic Posting To Canada

Attorney General Dappula de Livera has politely turned down the offer to be appointed the Sri Lankan High Commissioner to Canada.

The post has been offered to the Attorney General, who is due to retire soon, by President Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.

The Attorney Feneral has conveyed to the President he prefers to remain in Sri Lanka to serve the public, AG’s Coordinating Officer Nishara Jayaratne said.

There is still no clarity about the capacity in which de Livera intends to “serve the public” in the future.

Posted in Uncategorized

SLPP wants Provincial Council elections to be postponed

The district leaders of the SLPP have urged Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa not to hold the Provincial Council election, citing the prevailing situation in the country.

It is reported that SLPP district leaders have submitted a proposal to postpone the Provincial Council elections at a meeting presided over by premier Rajapaksa on May 04.

Political sources say the SLPP leaders are of the view that the amending of the provincial council act and as well as the demarcation of electors should be completed before the elections.

However, the media has reported that the leaders of other political parties of the government did not attend the particular meeting. Amongst the leaders who boycotted the meeting were Wimal Weerawansa, Udaya Gammanpila, Vasudeva Nanayakkaara, Tissa Vitharana, Dr. G. Weerasinghe, A.L.A.M. Athaullah, Tiran Alles, Asanka Nawarathna and Ven. Athuraliye Rathana thera.

Posted in Uncategorized

Speaker receives SC’s determination on Port City Economic Commission Bill

The Supreme Court’s determination with regard to the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill will be presented to the House on the 18th of May, the Department of Communications of the Parliament said.

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena has received the Supreme Court’s determination on Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill on Wednesday evening (May 05).

The Committee on Parliamentary Business on Tuesday (May 04) decided not to proceed with the parliamentary debate on the relevant draft billscheduled for Wednesday, as the Supreme Court’s determination was yet to be received by the Parliament.

On April 23, the Supreme Court concluded the consideration of petitions challenging the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill.

The petitions were taken up before a five-member bench consisting of Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, and Supreme Court Judges Buwaneka Aluvihare, Priyantha Jayawardena, Murdu Fernando, and Janak de Silva.

Posted in Uncategorized

11 more die of COVID-19: Death toll climbs to 720

Eleven more COVID-19 related deaths were reported today bringing the death toll in Sri Lanka to 720, the Health Ministry said.

With 680 new COVID-19 positive cases reported in Sri Lanka today (May 05), the daily total so far has increased to 1,939.

According to the Government Information Department, 1,897 of the new cases reported today are associated with the New Year coronavirus cluster. Meanwhile, the remaining 42 have been identified as arrivals from foreign countries.

This brings the total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus reported in the country to 117,529.

As many as 100,075 recoveries and 720 deaths have been confirmed in Sri Lanka since the outbreak of the pandemic.

Epidemiology Unit’s data showed that 16,734 active cases are currently under medical care.

Parliament Select Committee appointed to identify appropriate election law reforms

Parliamentarians to serve in the Select Committee to identify appropriate reforms of election laws and the electoral system and to recommend necessary amendments were announced today (May 05).

The names of the Select Committee members were announced in Parliament by Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.

Accordingly, 14 lawmakers have been appointed to the Select Committee chaired by Minister Dinesh Gunawardena.

Ministers Nimal Siripala de Silva, Prof. G.L. Peiris, Pavithradevi Wanniarachchi, Douglas Devananda, Hon. Wimal Weerawansa and Minister Ali Sabry, State Minister Jeevan Thondaman, MPs Anura Dissanayake, Kabir Hashim, Ranjith Madduma Bandara, Mano Ganesan, M.A. Sumanthiran, Madhura Withanage and Sagara Kariyawasam were announced as the members of the said Select Committee.

SJB MP raises questions about COVID Fund

SJP MP S.M. Marikkar said yesterday that neither Parliament nor the public have been informed of how the money from the COVID-19 Fund has been utilised.

“More than Rs. 1,000 million was collected to the COVID-19 fund from what we have seen in the media but neither Parliament nor the public have been informed of how the funds were utilised. Was the money used to buy vaccines or medicines or set up hospitals for COVID-19 patients?” the SJB MP queried during an adjournment debate on the COVID-19 situation in the country.

Marikkar said from the onset of the pandemic, the Government was driven by political expediency and did not take a prudent approach to tackle the pandemic situation and hence the country is facing a dire situation now.

“There aren’t sufficient stocks of the AstraZeneca vaccine to give those who got the first dose. Now attempts are underway to give another vaccine as the second dose and this could endanger lives,” he said.

Marikkar said that Israel, a country the size of Sri Lanka, has carried out a mass vaccination program and overcome the pandemic. “We have failed to adopt a similar approach by getting the necessary vaccination. All this shows that Sri Lanka has failed in this too,” he said.

“Today they Government is cash rapped and has no money. The Government is trying to stop fertiliser imports as it does not have money, not because of the interest in promoting organic farming. This is a good concept but not one that cannot be done overnight,” he added.

He urged the Government to listen to medical professionals and take decisions without taking political interests first.

(ft.lk)

Posted in Uncategorized