AG drops charges on Karannagoda over 11 youth abduction case

Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam informed courts today that his office will not proceed with the charges against former Navy Commander, Admiral of the Fleet Wasantha Karannagoda in the 11 youth abduction case.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had in 2019 recorded statements from Karannagoda over the abduction and disappearance of 11 youths in 2008-2009.

Then Attorney General Dappula de Livera PC had decided to indict Karannagoda and 13 others in connection with the abduction, torture, extortion and conspiracy to murder 11 persons in 2008 and 2009.

The former Attorney General had maintained that information had shown that the accused had committed punishable offences which come under section 102, 113 A, 356, 338, 333, 198, 372, 32 and 296 of the Penal Code in respect of conspiracy, abduction with intent to secretly and wrongfully confine a person, wrongful confinement for the purpose of confinement, conspiracy to extort, extortion, giving false information and conspiracy to commit murder.

Those abducted and murdered were S.A. Leon Stanly, Roshan Leon Stanly, John Reed, Thiyagaraja Jhegan, Rajiv Naganadan, Ramalingam Thilakeshwaran, Pradeep Vishvanadan, Mohammed Saajith, Mohammed Dilan, Kasthuri Arachchilage Anthony and Mohammed Anwar Mubarak.

Police says inter provincial travel ban not lifted

While asserting that the inter provincial travel restrictions was not lifted for usual services, only public servants, employees who have been called up for employment in private companies and those who are engaged in essential services will be allowed to cross the provincial borders, police said.

Police Spokesman SDIG Ajith Rohana said that also those seeking medical treatment and want to attend the funeral of a close relative will be allowed to cross the provincial boundaries.

He said the travel restrictions imposed between provinces for unessential activities will remain in place until further notice to prevent spread of Covid-19.

He said that the police officers have been instructed to take action in this regard and will continue to monitor movements at entry and exit points of the provinces.

Meanwhile, the spokesman said that over 100 people have been turned back at the provincial borders on Wednesday for violating travel restrictions along with 50 of their vehicles.

Debt-hobbled Sri Lanka risks running out of options

Sri Lanka paid a US$1 billion bond last week, but the alarming state of its finances suggests it may have been just another step towards its first sovereign default.

All the tell-tale crisis signs are there: bonds at nearly half their face value, debt-to-GDP levels above 100per cent, over 80per cent of government revenues being spent on interest payments alone and barely enough reserves to cover a few months of spending.

Chances of the island nation soldiering on alone look slim, especially with COVID-19 keeping the tourism industry on its knees and limiting the remittances expats are sending back from overseas.

Reflecting the gravity of its plight, Colombo’s dollar-denominated government bonds are among the most distressed in the emerging market universe.

Yet last week’s bond payment underscored the strong desire of the government to honour its debt and avoid the ignominy of a first sovereign default.

It has also brought it some breathing room – the next major payment is not until January, when it must find US$500 million.

But that is followed by a more hefty US$1 billion in July and another US$1 billion before the end of 2023. On top of an eyewatering fiscal deficit estimated to be around 11per cent, it could easily run out of rope.

“We always felt this was potentially heading for a default,” Axa Investment Managers’ Sailesh Lad said. “And in the next 12, 18, 24 months, if nothing changes, we think that is probably going to be the case.”

Most investors see an IMF programme as the only route out of trouble, but the likelihood it will require painful spending cuts means the government remains reluctant for now.

Instead, it appears to be favouring a muddle-through approach. It is leaning on foreign exchange swaps with China and India – which are both vying for influence in Sri Lanka – as well banking on an upcoming US$800 million injection of IMF COVID crisis money.

In comments reported by local media last week, State Minister of Money and Capital Markets Ajith Nivard Cabraal said Sri Lanka would make repayments via careful management of its existing reserves, as well as expected inflows.

Cabraal also said that the drop in reserves, which has seen them halve to under US$4 billion in the last 12 months, was temporary. He expects inflows of US$2.65 billion over the next three months, in addition to a US$1.5 billion currency swap with China, as well as the rollover of loans maturing in the rest of 2021.

Analysts are unconvinced, however.

“We see the forecasted rise in reserves as overly optimistic,” said Esther Yong, Asia fixed income research at Julius Baer. “The current measures undertaken are short-term in nature and not a panacea for its weak debt sustainability and external position.”

There’s also uncertainty about what strings might be attached to any swap deals and whether flows will materialise at all.

With its strategic geographic location and one of the deepest ports in the world, Sri Lanka has been an integral part of China’s Belt and Road plan, and Colombo hopes that will convince Beijing to provide more support.

“China can lend enough money for them to muddle through, but … are they willing to throw good money after bad?,” said Carlos de Sousa, a manager of emerging market debt portfolios at Vontobel Asset Management.

“My base case is no, especially because India doesn’t seem willing to play ball.”

An ominous sign for Sri Lanka is that the muddle-through approach is rarely a lasting fix in struggling emerging markets.

Goldman Sachs analysts point out that since 2010, only three of the 13 countries where bond ‘spreads’ spiked to distressed levels for several months managed to avoid a default.

And even if Sri Lanka does change tack and opt for an IMF help, the dire state of its finances mean a restructuring would almost certainly be required.

“Mathematically, it is very hard for it to continue the way it is going,” Mikhail Volodchenko, a colleague of Lad’s at Axa, said. “For now it is plugging the hole and surviving.”

Source: Reuters

Posted in Uncategorized

Ban on Chemical Fertilizer imports reversed?

Opposition Lawmaker Dr. Harsha De Silva questioned as to whether Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa has reversed the decision taken by the President to ban imports of Chemical Fertilizer.

Speaking in Parliament on Tuesday (03) Dr. De Silva said the Imports and Exports Control Department had issued a letter bearing the signature of Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa to the Chief Executive Officers of all banks noting that a new gazette has been issued lifting the ban chemical fertilizer imports.

MP Dr. Harsha De Silva said according to the letter the gazette permits chemical fertilizer to be imported under a license.

He said imports of Mineral or Chemical Fertilizers that are Nitrogenous, Phosphatic and Potassic which were banned before, can now be imported to the country as per this new document.

Secretary to the Finance Ministry S.R. Attygalle said the government’s decision to suspend the importation of chemical fertilizer will remain unchanged.

He said the Finance Ministry has only granted permission to import Liquid Nitrogen under import control licenses, as it required for the production of Organic Fertilizer.

The Finance Secretary further pointed out that certain Chemical Fertilizer types and Liquid Nitrogen is included among the list of products that come under the H.S. Code or the “Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System” of Customs.

Thereby, Finance Secretary S.R. Attygalle emphasized that permission will ONLY be granted to import chemicals required to produce organic fertilizer as pet the government’s policy on Organic Fertilizer.

Finance Secretary S.R. Attygalle said tenders have already been called for such imports adding that permission would be granted based on the recommendations pertaining to agriculture and organic fertilizer, issued by the Ministry.

The following images of the said letters and gazette were obtained from the official twitter account of MP Harsha De Silva.

Posted in Uncategorized

CBK’s son Vimukthi into politics?

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) parliamentarian Kumara Welgama has said that plans are underway to bring to power an educated youth from a well-known political family through a broad political alliance, but refused to confirm if the youth is Vimukthi Kumaratunga, the son of former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga.

He noted that the said alliance would be formed against the present Government and that it is likely to be named “Api Sri Lanka”.

Welgama said this speaking to the media after a meeting held in Nawala with the participation of representatives of several political parties and civil society organisations to discuss the formation of said alliance.

“A very good leader is coming in the future. We are working to bring forward an educated young leader from a well-known family through this alliance that is to be formed,” he added.

When queried by journalists as to whether Vimukthi Kumaratunga, the son of former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga and popular late actor Vijaya Kumaranatunga, is the young leader in question that Welgama is referring to, he said that it would be seen in the future as to whether this is the case.

On an earlier occasion, Welgama claimed that no force could stop members of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP), the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), and all other anti-Government Leftist forces, who have now become helpless owing to the conduct of the SLPP-SLFP-led Government, from joining the New Lanka Freedom Party (NLFP) led by him. Claiming that the SLFP was currently moving in the wrong direction, Welgama opined that it was his responsibility to protect its members. He added that arrangements have already been made for the establishment of a broad force where all those who are unhappy with the SLFP, the SLPP, and any other political party could join.

Welgama launched a new political movement called the NLFP on 6 March 2020 and the launch of the party was held under the theme “A Clean Bandaranaike Policy”, a reference to the policies of the slain SLFP Founder and Prime Minister S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike.

Attempts to contact Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga to inquire as to whether there are any plans for her son Vimukthi Kumaratunga to come to politics were unsuccessful.

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka confirms 74 Covid-19 deaths occurred on Monday, toll rises to 4,645

Sri Lanka Tuesday reported that 74 deaths due to COVID-19 occurred on Monday, August 02, 2021.

The Director General of Health Services has confirmed that 74 deaths occurred on Monday, August 02 due to the COVID-19.

Among the Monday’s deaths, 48 are of males and 26 of females. The majority of the deaths numbering 56 are of elderly people in the 60 years and above age group.

According to the data reported by the Government Information Department, the total deaths due to Covid-19 since the pandemic began has now risen to 4,645 including the deaths confirmed Monday.

Posted in Uncategorized

Death of girl: Brother responds to wording found in his sister’s room

The brother of the 16-year-old girl who died due to burn injuries while serving as a domestic helper in the house of former minister Rishad Bathiudeen said that his sister did not have the level of education to write something in English letters.

Responding after the police found a note on the wall of the room where she was staying, her brother Thiruprasad said that though his sister had the ability to write something, as far he knew, she did not have the level of education to write something in English letters.

He said that she was educated till Grade 7 at the Puwakpitiya Tamil Maha Vidyalaya in Avissawella.

Police have found a note written on the wall of the room in a way that gives a Tamil meaning in English letters.

Police said the meaning of the word is “the cause of my death”.

Thiruprasad said that he did not know anything about the wording found in English letters in the room where his sister was staying.

Posted in Uncategorized

Speaker accused of disregarding verbal sexual abuse of MP

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena was today accused of disregarding an incident where a female Parliamentarian faced verbal sexual abuse inside the House.

Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) Parliamentarian Rohini Wijeratne said that the incident had taken place during the no-confidence vote on Minister Udaya Gammanpila.

She said that opposition MP Thalatha Athukorala had faced verbal sexual abuse during the vote.

Wijeratne said that Athukorala faced abused in Parliament where there are only 12 female MPs.

She noted that Parliament is there to discuss issues faced by the public and not about illicit affairs.

Rohini Wijeratne expressed regret that the Speaker only smiled when the abuse took place.

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena said that he will look into the incident.

Posted in Uncategorized

Online registration for 2021 electoral register

The Election Commission has launched a program for the online application to register in the 2021 Electoral Roll.

Accordingly, information related to the new online registration process can be accessed by visiting the Election Commission website, www.election.gov.lk.

Registration of Sri Lankan citizens who have attained the age of 18 years who are eligible to be included in the 2021 Electoral Register, correction of mistakes or typographical errors in the names in the existing Electoral Register, change of residence, registration of voters unregistered in 2020 will be carried out under this program.

Any queries or issues regarding the process can be forwarded to the email address eservices@election.gov.lk, the Commission said.

Sri Lankan bishop attacks coal power plant

A Catholic bishop has criticized the largest power station in Sri Lanka for emitting carbon and causing environmental damage.

Bishop Valence Mendis of Chilaw said Lakvijaya Coal Power Plant in Norochcholai is causing health risks to residents.

“The toxic gas emitted from the plant has increased the risk of cancer and lung disease of people in the area,” said Bishop Mendis during his sermon on Aug. 1.

“Responsible people around the world say they have decided to phase out carbon emissions by 2050 because it is so poisonous to human life.”

The Catholic Church and environmentalists have urged the government to shut down the power plant and to generate electricity using alternative sources.

The plant was completed in 2014 by a Chinese company with the financial assistance of the Exim Bank of China.

It has been decided to stop the use of carbon in Sri Lanka in another nine years by 2030
Today, in addition to waste disposal, serious problems have arisen regarding the storage and condition of coal, the basic raw material required for the operation of the plant.

“It has been decided to stop the use of carbon in Sri Lanka in another nine years by 2030,” said Bishop Mendis.

“Global warming is also increasing due to the release of carbon into the universe.”

Farmers and fishermen in the area say they are facing serious health problems caused by the plant.

Bishop Mendis was speaking at St. Anne’s Church in Talawila, close to the power plant, in a service to mark the feast of St. Anne

Sadamali Niroshika, a Sunday school teacher from Chilaw, said that due to improper storage and disposal of coal, the air in villages near the plant contains coal dust and ash.

“People in the area face several serious health problems. A group of children living around the power plant have contracted skin diseases. Many other children living in the surrounding villages have skin problems and many adults suffer from health problems,” said Niroshika.

“The air and water are polluted when coal dust and waste ash are mixed into the environment.”

When the wind blows, the ash scatters like dust
An officer from the Electricity Board claimed that coal dust is everywhere in the surrounding area.

“When the wind blows, the ash scatters like dust. We now cover the entire area with sheets about 45 feet high,” said the officer who asked to remain anonymous.

“The ash is used in the manufacture of bricks and cement.”

Environmentalist Aruna Malcolm said harmful chemicals can cause cancer and lung, skin, kidney and heart diseases.

“Such conditions have already been reported around Norochcholai,” said Malcolm.

“Today, these plants are considered to be one of the major pollutants in the world. It is an outdated technology and has been phased out in many countries.”