Port City Bill aimed at pleasing China-Mujibur

The Samagi Jana Balawegaya has charged the government of seeking to please China by hurriedly vying to pass the proposed Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill.

Speaking at a media briefing today, Parliamentarian Mujibur Rahman said Sri Lanka will become a prey of world powers in the Indian Ocean as a result.

MP Rahman said the Chinese Defence Minister is due to arrive in the country next month, adding that suspicions have arisen over whether the government is attempting to pass the Bill in order to please China.

He noted such measures will threaten the country’s sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence.

He questioned the government’s priorities at a time that the world is reeling from the effects of the coronavirus.

Posted in Uncategorized

Sri Lanka bonds go from Asia’s worst to best after China loan -Bloomberg

Sri Lankan government debt is leading gains in Asian dollar bonds this year as investors bet that the nation will avoid defaulting on its short-term notes, with the help of a Chinese funding facility.

Italian investment manager AcomeA SGR S.p.A., which added to its holdings of the nation’s debt securities last quarter, sees the bonds as continuing to offer attractive yields, even if most of the gains have already been made.

The Sri Lankan notes have returned 15% this quarter, extending year-to-date gains to 25%, the best performance for any Asian nation’s U.S. currency debt in 2021, a Bloomberg Barclays index shows. They lost 31% last year, the worst showing in the region.

Sri Lanka received a $1.5 billion currency swap line from China in March that eased fears over the government’s ability to pay its debt after having been cut deeper into junk in 2020 by S&P Global Ratings and Moody’s Investors Service. The nation, which is struggling with a resurgence in Covid-19 cases that threatens its tourism industry, has at least $2.5 billion of dollar notes maturing before the end of July 2022, including a $1 billion bond due in a little over two months.

The yield on that debt security is indicated around 16%, while a July 2022 note offers 20%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

“Given the latest improvement in the short-term liquidity conditions, we prefer to hold the shorter-end tenors,” said Piero Cingari, fixed-income strategist in Milan, who helps manage 2.9 billion euros ($3.5 billion) of assets at AcomeA.

AG unable to present charges against those involved in Easter attacks

According to Attorney General (AG) Dappula de Livera’s Co-ordinating officer (CO) Nishara Jayaratne, the AG has informed the public today (15) that he is unable to present charges and indictments against the conspirators and abettors of the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks during his tenure.

He stated that the reason for this is because the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID) investigations on these matters have not been completed.

Earlier today, the AG’s CO also mentioned that the AG has written to the Inspector General of Police (IGP) seeking confirmation of evidence against 42 category A suspects over the Easter attacks.

Additionally, he had also requested for clarification on any pending investigations, highlighting that investigations into five suspects are still incomplete.

Posted in Uncategorized

WhatsApp users in Sri Lanka warned of scam

WhatsApp users in Sri Lanka have been warned to be on alert over a scam using the mobile application.

The Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) also urged the public to activate two factor authentication to secure their WhatsApp account.

“If you receive a WhatsApp message noting you have been sent a 6 digit code by mistake, DO NOT REPLY. If the message came from a known contact, ensure to inform that their account may be compromised.Enable 2 factor authentication to secure WhatsApp account,” TRCSL said today.

Earlier this month TRCSL also urged the public to refrain from downloading, clicking or sharing any link referring to “Whatsapp Pink” which is a trojan / malware which would allow auto reply access on the phone across even other platforms and is shared as a Whatsapp theme.

Posted in Uncategorized

COVID-19 deaths pass 900 mark

Sri Lanka’s COVID-19 death toll surpassed the 900-mark today (May 14) as 31 more victims were confirmed by the Director-General of Health Services.

This is reportedly the highest-ever coronavirus deaths Sri Lanka has posted in a single day since the outbreak of the pandemic last year.

According to Epidemiology Unit’s data, new fatalities have moved the total to 923.

Posted in Uncategorized

Bangladesh has shown courage against Chinese bullying but Sri Lanka still lacks it

Following the statement, read threat, by the Chinese ambassador to Bangladesh that Beijing-Dhaka ties would be substantially damaged if Bangladesh joins Quad, Dhaka has reacted appropriately. Bangladesh’s reply should be seen as reflective of the mood of countries in the region that are tormented by the coronavirus, which is likely to have originated in Wuhan. While expressions like “Beijing-Dhaka ties would be substantially damaged” are not veiled, they do seem like direct threats. Dhaka’s polite but firm reply that Bangladesh stands by its commitment to no-alignment and balanced foreign policy is a tight slap on the face of China. In sharp contrast to Dhaka, Colombo seems to be lacking the courage to balance its relations in the region.

The Sri Lankan parliament is all set to debate the controversial Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill, which seeks to protect China’s interests, and is being criticised for ceding control over Colombo Port City. A delegation of senior Chinese military officials, led by Defence Minister Gen. Wei Fenghe, made a two-day visit to Sri Lanka in April to consolidate the defence partnership between the two countries. Sri Lanka’s Foreign Secretary Jayanath Colombage had earlier said: “We are observing the rise of Quad as an exclusive military alliance. That is the problem. If Quad is aiming at economic revival, there are no issues”. For the record, neither Bangladesh nor Sri Lanka has been invited to join the Quad.

The Beijing-Dhaka verbal duel highlights two important aspects that should be a matter of concern to India in particular and the Quad and countries in the Indo-Pacific region in general. One is the pace and flagrantly audacious manner in which China is making forays into the Indo-Pacific and other Asian capitals. The other aspect involves attempts by the Quad countries, overt and covert, to checkmate China.

Chinese ambitions

China’s discomfort and antagonism towards the emergence of Quad have never been a secret. Besides terming the Quad as a “military alliance aimed against China’s resurgence and its relationship with neighbouring countries”, Beijing views the Quad as the biggest stumbling block to its hegemonic objectives in the region. Not content with ridiculing Quad as “Asian NATO”, China has set in motion a series of tactics to inch closer to its strategy of stamping Asia and Indo-Pacific with its neo-colonial footprints.

When it comes to dealing with countries in Asia, Beijing does not seem to need a diplomatic veneer anymore. New Delhi experienced China’s aggressive forays in eastern Ladakh — turning the area into a new flashpoint at a time when India along with the rest of the world was grappling with the killer pandemic. A quick look at the events that unfolded during the initial phase of the coronavirus pandemic and the subsequent halt of the global economy due to lockdowns will reveal a pattern. It is not a mere coincidence that all the flashpoints where China is involved are dots that link countries in Asia and Indo-Pacific region and which Beijing wants to bring under its inextricable political and economic influence.

Even as the violent conflict in Galwan was at its peak, China was flexing its muscles in the South China Sea, making newer claims over territories and tightening its stranglehold over Hong Kong. This was followed by navy drills in the Taiwan Strait, clearly aimed at intimidating Taiwan and its supporters, and bullying Australia with economic boycott by putting on hold trade deals and cutting off supply chains.

Another aspect of Beijing’s aggressive forays in Asia concerns transforming economic engagements into political and military arrangements. China has bagged contracts worth $4.4 billion in Afghanistan for developing the Mes Aynak copper fields in Logar province, besides oil exploration in the Amu Darya basin in the northern region of the country and railway development. China has launched the Sino-Afghanistan Special Railway Transportation Project that is being developed as ‘Five Nations’ railway project and will connect China, Kyrgyzstan, Iran, Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Baluchistan, and terminate at the Gwadar Port. These economic engagements have brought Beijing and Kabul closer even as the US is scheduled to withdraw from Afghanistan.

Need a pan-Asian consolidation

Beijing’s aggressiveness in Asia, Indo-Pacific and India’s extended neighbourhood should have been dealt with by forging a rules-based regional order through a pan-Asian consolidation. This would have bolstered the morale of all those nations which were helplessly watching their economic sovereignty being pawned to a hegemonic power with insatiable appetite for global resources, least respect for global commons and nothing but contempt for human rights and democracy.

China’s ultimate objective of dominating the global market, supply chain systems, demand-supply mechanisms and trade institutions through its Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) — stretching from Pacific to the Indian Ocean, Australia to Africa and the Far East to Europe — is posing a challenge to the existing world order that has withstood all pressures and pulls since the fall of the Third Reich.

The 2+2 ministerial dialogue at the foreign and defence ministerial levels between India and Russia should be able to take the bilateral partnership to the next level, especially at a time when India’s role in the region, in general, and Afghanistan, in particular, has to be scaled up. (India has a similar arrangement with the US, Japan and Australia, all members of the Quad).

Twenty-one years after the first India-EU summit (held in 2000), both sides have agreed to establish a mechanism to promote a free, open, inclusive and rules-based Indo-pacific architecture and strengthen the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) forum. New Delhi will have to assess whether these action plans will tame the dragon or provoke it to be more belligerent in future.

Source:The Print

Seshadri Chari is the former editor of ‘Organiser’. Views are personal.

(Edited by Anurag Chaubey)

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Port City Bill must be defeated-JVP

Leader of the JVP Anura Kumara Dissanayake says attempts by the government to pass the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill amidst the coronavirus pandemic, must be defeated.

MP Dissanayake said the decision by the government to debate the proposed Bill on the 19th and 20th of May in Parliament is anti-democratic.

MP Dissanayake said the Bill will be detrimental to Sri Lanka’s future as it is not being discussed in a public forum.

The JVP leader said the government will not listen to the voice of Parliament or the people and will do as they please to present and pass the Bill.

Therefore, MP Dissanayake said this is a violation of the government’s pledge to ensure the rights of citizens.

The Parliamentarian claimed at a time that COVID-19 deaths are on the rise, the government is moving forward with attempts to approve a destructive regulation.

Posted in Uncategorized

Port City Bill decisive over the land area-Lal

Senior attorney Lal Wijenayake says the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill, which has been proposed as a Constitutional Amendment, will be decisive pertaining to the land area of the country.

Speaking at a media briefing in Kandy Wijenayake said the Supreme Court has made a determination over the constitutionality of the Port City Bill.

He said the determination has not been tabled in Parliament.

Wijenayake noted if it is in violation of the Constitution, it will go through a public referendum after being passed in Parliament with a 2/3rds majority.

He added if unable to conduct a referendum, it could be passed with a 2/3rds majority.

Wijenayake stressed it is a special Bill as it will decide if part of the country remains to be retained by the government or owned by a foreign entity.

He called for a public referendum to take place over the much-debated topic.

Attorney Wijenayake while acknowledging that Sri Lanka must attract foreign investments, said such goals must be fulfilled while upholding the country’s sovereignty.

Wijenayake condemning the Bill said its passing need not be rushed. He said such a move goes against provisions within the Constitution and harms democracy.

Several more areas in Kurunegala, Batticaloa and Trincomalee Districts will be isolated

General Shavendra Silva, Commander of the Army, Head of the National Operations Center for Prevention of Covid 19 outbreak, announced that 42 Grama Niladhari Divisions in in Kurunegala, Batticaloa and Trincomalee Districts have been designated as isolated areas.

The isolation will take effect from 4.00 am on Monday, May 17th due to travel restrictions imposed on th entire island, Army Commander General Shavendra Silva said.

Accordingly, following areas will be isolated

Batticaloa District

Kirankulam police Area
-150 C Grama Niladhari Division
• Weva Road Area towards Manchona
• Weavingmill Avenue area
• Velapodi Road area
• Kanakiamman Kovil Road heading seashore
150B Grama Niladhari Division
• Lake Mawatha heading to Vithanay
• Appuhamy Mawatha Coastal Area

Trincomalee District

Kinniya police Area
• Kinniya 226D Grama Niladhari Division
• Periya Kinniya 225 B Grama Niladhari Division
• Kuttikarachchi 226 E Grama Niladhari Division
• Ahutar town 22 AGrama Niladhari Division
• Periyathumunei 226 Grama Niladhari Division of
• Malinturaei 225 C Grama Niladhari Division
• Rahumaniya town 225 Grama Niladhari Division
• Sinna Kinniya 225 A Grama Niladhari Division
• Mancholei 225 D Grama Niladhari Division
• Katteyaru 225 B Grama Niladhari Division
• Kurinchakerni 225 G Grama Niladhari Division
• Munachchenei 226 I Grama Niladhari Division

Kurunegala District

Giriulla Police Area
• Hamangalla 1554 Grama Niladhari Division
• Narangoda North 1555 Grama Niladhari Division
• Narangoda South 1556 Grama Niladhari Division
• Batapothalla 1557 Grama Niladhari Division
• Malgamuwa 1565 Grama Niladhari Division
• Dodanpottha 1569 Grama Niladhari Division
• Narangamuwa 1576 Grama Niladhari Division
• Wattegedara 1559 Grama Niladhari Division
• Katugampola 1560 Grama Niladhari Division
• Kaudumunna 1561 Grama Niladhari Division
• Hamanagoda 1562 Grama Niladhari Division
• Wettewa 1563 Grama Niladhari Division
• Mummana 1564 Grama Niladhari Division
• Maharagama 1566 Grama Niladhari Division
• Pahala Meddepola 1567 Grama Niladhari Division
• Ihala Meddepola 1568 Grama Niladhari Division
• Konduruwawala 1571 Grama Niladhari Division
• Mahingamuwa 1558 Grama Niladhari Division
• Siyambalawana1570 Grama Niladhari Division
• Bopitiya 1572 Grama Niladhari Division
• Ihala Labala 1573 Grama Niladhari Division
• Pahala Labala 1574 Grama Niladhari Division
• Mattegama 1575 Grama Niladhari Division
• Wellawa 1577 Grama Niladhari Division

Basil has no illness that requires medical treatment – Namal

Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Namal Rajapaksa said that Basil Rajapaksa has no illness that warranted medical treatment.

“He didn’t have any illness that warranted treatment. Even when I met him yesterday and at the time of his departure, there was no illness as such,” Namal Rajapaksa told reporters yesterday (13).

Basil Rajapaksa, the Chair of the Presidential Task Force for Economic Revival and Poverty Eradication had left for the U.S. on Wednesday morning (12) for medical treatment.

When a journalist inquired about Basil Rajapaksa’s abrupt departure, especially at a time when the SLPP National Organiser and the President’s Special Envoy has been assigned the primary responsibility of coordinating the government’s fight against the pandemic, Minister Namal Rajapaksa said that Basil had left for the U.S. for personal reasons, adding that he will return to Sri Lanka within three weeks.

However, Minister Chamal Rajapaksa had intimated to the media that Basil Rajapaksa had left for the U.S. to receive treatment.

SLPP General Secretary Sagara Kariyawasam MP told the media for the first time that Basil Rajapaksa had left for the U.S. to receive treatment.