US provided a great deal of assistance to SL in 2020 – US Ambassador

U.S. Ambassador Alaina B. Teplitz said the United States provided a great deal of assistance to Sri Lanka in view of COVID-19 last year – US $7.6 million in direct support and 200 ventilators that were provided last year, in 2020.

During a recent media round table discussion on the economic relations between the two countries, she said the pandemic had shifted things dramatically.

“We have a pre-COVID and a post-COVID world to look at. But what is continuous as we consider our context, of course, is the strong economic relationship between Sri Lanka and the United States. In fact, there’s a trade imbalance in Sri Lanka’s favour with the U.S. that continues to make the United States Sri Lanka’s largest export market. Over the last decade or so there’s been an almost ten-fold shift. It’s a pretty impressive number. I’m pleased to say there are Sri Lankan companies that invest in the United States and there’s a little bit of importation here that rounds things out.

First, we obviously have a development partnership with Sri Lanka that has economic dimensions. I just want to say a few words about that in the COVID context because it’s important as we think about what we’re going to do heading forward into the future.

This support was meant for immediate response so we supported the WHO and we supported UNICEF and their public health interventions in support of the Sri Lankan Ministry of Health.

We also re-directed some of our programming, because we knew there would be longer term consequences beyond these immediate needs. We were looking specifically at the economic aspects of this and we have thought a lot about how to support businesses getting back on their feet, or frankly, entrepreneurs who are just trying to get started in an environment that has been constrained by the tremendous downturn of the pandemic,” she said.

Public urged not to visit North Central province & Trinco

Governor of the North Central Province – Maheepala Herath has urged the public to refrain from visiting the Atamasthana in Anuradhapura as well as the religious sites in Polonnaruwa during the upcoming long weekend.
The province has been identified as an area which is at risk of a COVID-19 surge.

Health and security officials as well as the Additional District secretary of Anuradhapura had briefed the leading Buddhist monks of the region and the decision was taken afterwards, the governor added.

Meanwhile, the governor of the East Province – Anuradha Yahampath had also urged the public not to visit the Trincomalee district unless it was absolutely necessary.

She had also said that security units were informed to curb unnecessary travel by placing roadblocks.

Meanwhile, East educational secretary – Christy Lal Fernando has said that three schools in Trincomalee district have been closed down indefinitely.

(Source : ITN)

Sri Lanka’s COVID-19 death toll increases to 638

Four more COVID-19 related fatalities have been recorded in Sri Lanka, increasing the death toll to 638.

The Director General of Health Services said among the fatalities confirmed were an 18-year-old girl from Wattala. She passed away at a private hospital on Wednesday due to COVID pneumonia and heart complications.

A 35-year-old male from Nittambuwa also passed away on Wednesday at the Homagama Base Hospital due to COVID pneumonia.

Meanwhile, a 40-year-old male from Pannipitiya passed away yesterday at the Homagama Hospital after contracting the novel coronavirus.

Furthermore, a 71-year-old female from Maharagama passed away yesterday at the Kotelawala Defence University due to COVID pneumonia and several other health complications.

She was admitted to the hospital after exhibiting symptoms while self-isolating at home after arriving in the country recently.

Posted in Uncategorized

Rishad Bathiudeen and brother arrested over Easter attacks

The Criminal Investigation Department on Saturday (April 24) arrested former Minister Rishad Bathiudeen and his brother Riyaj Bathiudeen, the Police Spokesperson DIG Ajith Rohana said in a statement.

The two brothers were placed under arrest for allegedly aiding and abetting the suicide bombers who carried through the deadly terror attacks on Easter Sunday in 2019.

Reportedly, the former minister was taken into custody at his residence in Bauddhaloka Mawatha in Colombo while his brother Riyaj Bathiudeen was apprehended in Wellawatte area in the early hours of this morning.

Legal action will be sought against the duo under the provisions of Prevention of Terrorism Act, the police spokesperson noted.

Rishad and Riyaj Bathiudeen were taken into custody based on the direct, circumstantial and forensic evidence uncovered during the investigations, he explained.

Tuition, parties, night clubs, public gatherings temporarily banned

Tuition classes, parties and public gatherings have been banned until 31st May with Sri Lanka being placed on Alert Level 3 following the Sinhala and Tamil New Year.

State Minister for Primary Health Services, Pandemics and COVID Prevention Sudarshani Fernandopulle issued a new set of health guidelines valid until 31st May.

According to new health guidelines issued today, casinos, night clubs, spas and beach parties have also been temporarily banned.

Children’s parks, carnivals and musical shows are also banned while swimming pools must also be closed until 31st May.

Spas and day rooms as well as home stays are also not permitted to operate during this period.

Government and private offices have been told to operate with minimum staff while others work from home.

Supermarkets are allowed to accommodate only 50 percent of costumers at one time based on the space available.

Day care centres, preschools and schools are allowed to operate with only 50 percent of the capacity.

Weddings can be held with a maximum of 150 guests while funerals can have only 25 people at any given time.

Posted in Uncategorized

Top Lankan Buddhist monks support Colombo Port City project

The top Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka, called the ‘Maha Sangha’, have extended their support to the government on the Colombo Port City project.

A Presidential press release said that at the tenth meeting of the Buddhist Advisory Council here on Friday, the monks told the Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa that “a country should not remain in one place. It should endeavor to progress commercially towards success.”

However, in the light of the criticism of the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill, now before the Supreme Court for its determination on its constitutionality, the Maha Sangha emphasized that “the citizenry should be properly educated and clarified about the actual position, to remove their doubts with regard to the project in order to garner their support and accomplish the aims of the Colombo Port City project.”

State Minister Ajith Nivard Cabraal spoke about the project in-depth, enlightening the monks about its benefits both to the economy and the country.

“Expanding the landmass of the country and paving the way to new investment opportunities is a victory for the country. Instead of propagating falsehoods and opposing everything, we must unite to stand tall as a nation,” he said.

Posted in Uncategorized

Army Chief says no lockdowns this weekend, urges public to stay home

Commander of the Army General Shavendra Silva announced today (April 23) that there will not be any lockdowns in the island during this long weekend.

Addressing a special media briefing at the Government Information Department this afternoon, the Army Commander said no decision has been yet to lock-down the country.

However, he appealed to the members of the public to limit their travels and to stay home as far as possible.

The Army Commander also requested people to avoid large gatherings and not to organize any events that gather large crowds.

The general public has been urged to comply with the health protocols introduced to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus.

Sri Lanka’s daily COVID-19 cases count is now on the rise with an uptick in the figures following the festivities of Sinhala and Tamil New Year last week.

The country detected 672 new positive cases on Thursday and 578 on the day before as the confirmed cases tally reached 98,722. As per Epidemiology Unit’s data, more than 4,000 active cases are currently under medical care at designated hospitals and treatment centres.

Posted in Uncategorized

Chinese intervention in Port City could pose danger to both Sri Lanka and region: Opposition MP Fonseka

Chinese intervention in Sri Lanka’s Port City could pose a danger to the economic and security interests of both the island nation the region, opposition MP Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka said.

Speaking to reporters this afternoon (23), Fonseka expressed concern that the proposed and highly controversial Colombo Port City Economic Commission will allow Chinese business interests to influence the government.

“China’s defence officials are visiting Sri Lanka. We can see that the USD 1.4 billion Port City may come under China through the economic commission,” he said.

“There is a chance that Chinese interference may be a danger to our economy and security and also the region’s security, the way we see it,” he added.

A draft bill to set up a Port City Commission where the Board is to be appointed directly by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and has been exempted from a number of laws including contracts law has brought opposition from several quarters.

Nearly 20 petitions were filed against the bill last week in Sri Lanka’s Supreme Court. Opposition lawmakers, including Fonseka’s colleagues in the main opposition Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB), civil society and other actors claimed that the proposed commission poses a challenge to the island nation’s sovereignty.

The possibility of non-nationals being appointed to the commission could end up with the fate of the people in the area being decided by foreigners, lawyers representing the SJB told reporters last week.

Related: Sri Lanka Colombo Port City Commission given undefined powers, equal opportunity denied: SJB

The Bar Association of Sri Lanka has also said some of its provisions may be violating sections of the constitution dealing with the unitary state, overeignty of the people and fundamental rights.

Fonseka expressed fears today that the China-backed Port City will be run outside Sri Lankan law and outside the purview of the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC), the Urban Development Authority (UDA) or parliament.

“A few businessmen may try to run it through this commission. There is a chance Chinese businessmen will be appointed. It will be in their interest to keep the present government in power,” he said.

“The government will then forget about the people and start working for [these businessmen],” he added.

The retired Army chief said the SJB’s position is that Sri Lanka’s national assets should be managed under Sri Lankan law.

“It’s not like opening a bakery,” he said.

“We’re studying the [bill] in depth. The problem is not appointing a commission. There are plenty of commissions in the country, but they’re all governed by Sri Lankan law. This one, however, might not be,” he added.

Posted in Uncategorized

Zahran Hashim’s father-in-law and two others arrested

The father-in-law of Easter Sunday bomber Zahran Hashim and two others have been arrested.

The Police said that they were arrested from the Kekunagolla area in Kuliyapitiya, Kurunegala for having attended classes conducted by Zahran Hashim to promote extremist ideologies.

Police Spokesman, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Ajith Rohana said the suspects aged 40, 52, and 55, were arrested by the Terrorism Investigation Division (TID) yesterday.

The arrests were made following investigations conducted by the TID into events and activities linked to the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks.

He said in the past, the TID had arrested a large number of people for attending classes on extremism conducted by Hashim in various areas across the country.

Investigations have found that the classes had targeted Muslim youth especially, with many being forced to attend.

DIG Ajith Rohana said the three suspects arrested yesterday have been transferred to the TID headquarters in Colombo.

He said the TID will obtain detention orders against them to continue further investigations.

Sri Lanka becoming transit route for Pakistani drug cartels raises concern

KOCHI: In the wake of frequent seizure of narcotic drugs from Sri Lankan boats in the Arabian Sea, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is concerned about the role and involvement of Pakistan-based drug cartels in smuggling contraband worth several million. With most of these illegal consignments headed for the island nation, the agencies are alert about the possibility of drugs reaching India via the western and eastern coasts.

Since January this year, heroin and synthetic drugs — crystal meth (methamphetamine) and ketamin — worth over Rs 8,000 crore have been seized from Sri Lankan/Pakistani boats by the Indian Navy and the Coast Guard. The NCB after questioning some of the arrested foreign nationals found that these drugs were to be supplied to syndicates in India, the US, Australia and European countries. Opium grown in Afghanistan is turned into chemical drugs by cartels based in Karachi and Baluchistan province of Pakistan, which are then dispatched to Pakistani and Iranian coasts from where there are smuggled out.

“The opium from Afghanistan enters Pakistan through the porous international border. Opium is processed in laboratories in Faisalabad and Lahore. From the Makran coast in Pakistan and Iranian Baluchistan, these drugs head to Sri Lanka and African countries like South Africa, Tanzania and Mozambique, which are chief shipping transit points. From there, the drugs reach the US mainland and European countries where they fetch the highest price,” an NCB officer said.

“Both western and eastern coasts of India are quite close to Sri Lanka. There is a real possibility of drugs landing in Sri Lanka reaching India as well. Our fishermen venture close to the Sri Lankan coast and their fishing boats also reach close to our shores,” the NCB officer said.